Enron Exec's Death Ruled Suicide?

DaninWA
This topic is 8145 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does anyone really believe that J. Clifford Baxter committed suicide?

This was a man who, reportedly, complained mightily about Enron's accounting practices and resigned last spring to spend more time with his family. Apparently, he was expected to testify before the congressional committee investigating the Enron bankruptcy; possibly very damaging testimony for other Enron and Arthur Anderson executives. Baxter was reported by friends to be disappointed with the failure of Enron, but not depressed or suicidal.

I've never been one to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but there is no way in hell that I will believe that Mr. Baxter killed himself. I firmly believe that he was killed to prevent him from revealing what he knew.

By the way, I have never owned Enron stock and that stock has never been more than a very, very small percentage of one of my mutual funds.

Dan (just call me Oliver Stone)

Guest Countryboy76

Well, since I have never owned Enron stock or accepted any money from Enron, I proudly say that I will not recuse myself from giving my opinion.

I haven't kept up with the story 100%, but I have to agree with you. If Mr. Baxter would have lost everything at Enron when it went belly up, then I could understand depressed and suicidal. But Mr. Baxter got out last spring and sold his Enron stock for about 35 million, and was still on their payroll until the day of his suicide. He no longer was a part of the company, he didn't own stock in the company, but he was still on the payroll, a pretty good set up if you can get it. Considering the knowledge that Mr. Baxter possessed on Enrons' activities, I think it was a case of keeping him happy and quiet.

Unfortunatly for Mr. Baxter, just like the majority of the Enron Exec's, greed was a major part of his life. Had it not been he would have told Enron to stick their payroll, retired to a nice out of the way country somewhere with his family and 35 million, and lived a happy and quiet existance. But now, well he's just quiet.

As for my investments of choice, I prefer something I can see and touch, so far real estate is my number one.

CB76

Guest Thunderbuns

>Unfortunatly for Mr. Baxter, just like the majority of the

>Enron Exec's, greed was a major part of his life. Had it

>not been he would have told Enron to stick their payroll,

>retired to a nice out of the way country somewhere with his

>family and 35 million, and lived a happy and quiet

>existance.

I wonder how many of us on this board would have turned down all that was offered to him. It's easy to accuse someone else of greed, but let me tell you, if I had been in his position I doubt if I would have acted any differently. If the money is there for the taking and it is being offered to you by your employer - why not. Don't forget that even if he had resigned his post as vice-chairman, he was still on the payroll.

Thunderbuns

Guest Viewmaster

I actually do belive he committed suicide. He did it in the garage of his home, with his family there, and left a note. It seems highly unlikely that intruders could have come in, gotten him out of bed, brought him to the garage and shot him, all without disturbling his family and wife. Stranger things have happened, but I think you simply have a man here who could not endure the guilt of his past, as well as the thought that he was being pulled in to testify against all the people who had been a major part of his life.

Guest Viewmaster

I could be wrong on this detail. I did see a photo in the paper that showed his car in the garage of his home, but that of course could have been taken at another time and I just deduced that it was a picture reflecting the crime scene.

Guest Thunderbuns

>I could be wrong on this detail. I did see a photo in the

>paper that showed his car in the garage of his home, but

>that of course could have been taken at another time and I

>just deduced that it was a picture reflecting the crime

>scene.

Either way - what a shitty way to treat a Mercedes

Thunderbuns

Guest Jocoluver

Obviously a conspiracy by the right wingers. Remember how they wouldn't believe Foster's death was suicide (the friend of Bill& Hillary)? "Vast right-wing conspiracy" to protect you know who!!!x( }> :p

Archived