How do I find an old posting by number

honcho
This topic is 6889 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In a recent message somebody asked a question and was told to go read message number 47981. I tried using the advanced search form for both body & text , and all messages (not just the past 25 days), and all forums for the textual string "47981", and couldn't find it (other than the posting which gave the reference to it).

What is the way one is supposed to do this?

Thank you for the kind response. The URL you gave lists the specific post I was interested in reading, but I was also curious about the more general question of locating old posts by number.

(The old sunday school line about give a man a fish, he's fed for a day, but teach him to fish and he's fed for a lifetime . . .)

If you study the URL it gives the forum number for the message. I tried manually changing one of the URL's I got generated by "read new" leaving out the forum number and got an error (about a bad database query.

Deej, Daddy? Any advice?

Archived