Dubbing cassettes to CD's

mjd
This topic is 6998 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have many language tape cassettes which I use to review foreign languages before travel. I'd like to copy them onto CD. My computer has a CD burner and Roxio CD Creator 7. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?

Many thanks!

You'll need a sound card that will accept input from a CD player. If the cassettes are stereo, make sure you get a card that properly takes in both the L and R channels. (Most sound cards are designed for just a microphone. Most microphones have only one channel.) If your cassettes are recorded in stereo, and you only record one channel, you'll loose half the audio.

Your sound card probably has some encoding software with it. You need to start the encoding software in record mode, and away you go. Once everything is encoded, you can build the CDs. I use the Roxio "Easy CD Creator" package. Very slick. The Roxio product can figure out how your input audio was recorded/encoded and make the resulting CD playable on most CD players.

The result is a CD you can play on the computer, in the car or on your home stereo. Practice a little bit before you spend a lot of time. When I first started doing this, I wasted a few CDs before I really got the process down.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

--EBG

Archived