"Re: Details" "Your Details" "Re: Approved"

Rod Hagen
This topic is 7576 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

RE: "SoBig" Virus

What Hagen is speaking of is the "SoBig" Virus. It sends out emails appearing to be from other people--often people you really know. I work for a large corporation and we've had major problems on several days due to this. I somehow missed being a victim, but the guy who's in the office next door got over 500 such messages in a few hours.

One hint for Rod. Depending on which email program you use, you can set up "filters" or "rules" which will automatically delete certain emails. Use your email program's Help menu to help you set them up. I have many such filters set up, both on my home accounts and at work and it cuts down my spam to "only" about 100 messages a day at work. (Note to work: when are you ever gong to install spam filters at the network level????)

In one of our satelite offices, one person brought in a laptop and plugged it into the network without having a virus scan. It brought down the entire network for that rather large satelilte office. On the first day SoBig hit, our IT department arrived in the morning to the sound of sirens blaring with virus infection warnings. Prior to that, most of them weren't even aware of such sirens.

Rod, if you need some help, let me know your operating system and email program and I'll see what I can do. I'm primarily a Mac guy, so I don't know a lot about Windoze machines, but I'll try to help.

RE:

Thanks Ted,

Naturally I've set my spam filter, on Entourage running on a Mac, to Most Sensitive, and that helps. Unfortunately, said junkmail filter does NOT filter based on adjustable subject headings; in other words it has its own, vague, but usually effective, proxies, however I can not tell it to ignore all emails with "Approved" or "RE: your details" in the heading. Also, even if I could, filtering so much increases the risk of losing/ignoring important emails.

But it sounds as if I simply have to wait until the multitudes of hookers and clients, who have alllowed themselves to become exposed to this virus by downloading a dobious atttachment, to realize they've fucked up and scan for, then remove, it. The effects that are simply "Out There" on the web, will, I suppose, run their course eventually.

This is most distressing. I'm very scared I'm losing real emails in my impatience. Damn, who downloads unknown attachments these days? Sigh...

RE:

>Naturally I've set my spam filter, on Entourage running on a

>Mac, to Most Sensitive, and that helps. Unfortunately, said

>junkmail filter does NOT filter based on adjustable subject

>headings; in other words it has its own, vague, but usually

>effective, proxies, however I can not tell it to ignore all

>emails with "Approved" or "RE: your details" in the heading.

Rod, it isn't the Junk Mail Filter I'm talking about. It's "Rules". I have Entourage 10.0.2. It's probably the same on any later version that have come out.

Go to "Tools," scroll down to "Rules". Click on "new" then add the headings "Re: Approved", etc. You can set the controls to "Move Message" and specify whatever mailbox folder you want. Perhaps "Virus Crap" would do nicely. Then, at you leisure you could review the messages in that folder and if you see anything you think might be legit, you could send the sender a message asking them if they really sent it.

Have you tried Apple's "Mail" application? I find I like it better than Entourage, myself. The early version of Mail was way too slow, but that's been fixed with updates.

If you have more questions, let me know. Glad to help a Mac user--especially working boys!

}(

Archived