Posts are missing number

Huey
This topic is 7822 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Daddy I noticed that the posts are missing their number in the thread. As an example if I reply to post 5 in a thread of 10 the number of said post in thread doesn't appear within the actual post. Instead it now lists the over all message number. Rick

From the Deli:

trilingual Fri Nov-15-02 12:08 AM

Charter member

852 posts, 20 votes, 40 points

#28476, "Inquiring Minds. . ."

Want to know: Does "ad rian" = "Fin Fang Foom" = "IamToxic2002"? And probably some other handles I've missed? Does anyone else think there are amazing similarities in the negativity/phraseology/obsessiveness/warped reality/all-around nastiness of their posts?

Where the #28476 is use to be a "tag" with the post number. It doesn't appear in this version. The only exception is if the threads are expanded it will appear to the right of each posters link within the thread.

I have no clue if the above even makes sense. I wanted you to know as it's hard to follow along to who is replying to who at times :) It might say "in reply to #5" yet good luck finding #5.

• 5 weeks later...

>Daddy I noticed that the posts are missing their number in

>the thread. As an example if I reply to post 5 in a thread of

>10 the number of said post in thread doesn't appear within the

>actual post. Instead it now lists the over all message number.

>Where the #28476 is use to be a "tag" with the post number.

>I wanted you to

>know as it's hard to follow along to who is replying to who at

>times :) It might say "in reply to #5" yet good luck finding

>#5.

Daddy,

this has been bothering me since the very beginning of the new software too. I didn't report this or any other bugs/glitches because others were already mentioning them and fixes were coming fast and furious. But this matter has not yet been addressed.

In the old software each individual message had a sequential number reflecting its order of addition to that particular thread. It was very useful to have that information for a lot of reasons, probably the most significant of which is the one that Huey mentioned above, but that is not the only one.

The new software instead has a sequential number (5 digits in a forum like the Lounge or the Deli) which I presume reflects the order of addition to the forum that the thread is in as a whole. But, as Huey pointed out, a reply is identified as being the reply to a particular message with its in-thread order. Especially because a reply in a fast-moving thread may be quite far away from what it is replying to, and because many people are not using "reply with quote" it can be very difficult to follow the thread of the discussion. I find myself constantly flipping back and forth between the "site map" of the thread and the comments (and then having to hunt around looking for the place where I was), which is very time-consuming and annoying.

For other reasons as well, such as referring back to/citing another message or to a message in another thread, for easily seeing what was written before or after what else (yes, I know there is a date and time, but a simple 2-digit number is much easier to find and keep track of than a date and time), and others, it was very useful to have those in-thread sequential numbers appear on the messages.

Is there any hope that we can have those back? Or that the messages can have both numbers?

Archived