Thailand

kjun
This topic is 5853 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Greetings my friends. July 2nd I leave for Siam with a planned return to the US in late October. Excitement is flowing through me. It has been much less than a year since my last visit but I feel the call.

My plans are to search for a house to buy. Probably in Chiang Mai. At this point, it is uncertain how much time I will live in Thailand but it could be most of the year. Living in Chiang Mai opens a close door way to Burma and Laos. Both are within easy striking distance and Vietnam and Cambodia are not far.

The reasons for this approach are, at least, twofold: First, because I love Thailand. Second, I am concerned about what will happen after the next election. The government of Thailand is no pinnacle of greatness but I am not so invested in it emotionally.

And, there is the availability of companionship to consider. Put more simply: The Boys!

the Cajun

after reading a bit more, farangs can own condos but you cannot buy a house. I think there are some Thai holding companies through which you can buy a house, but legal ownership is by the holding company. Apparently there are also rules about how many farangs can own units in any particular condo. You can rent whatever you want though.

Archived