Chiang Mai..

ohgwm226
This topic is 6762 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I may be returning to Thailand this coming November for less than 2 weeks. I would like to spend few days in Chiang Mai. Any advice about the best way to book flights and hotel in Chiang Mai? Should I do it online while here in USA? Rely on a Thai travel agent when in Bangkok, or use the travel agent at Tarntawan Hotel where I usually stay in BKK? Advice and info would be greatly appreciated..

OHGWM226

The overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is very nice and you save a night at the hotel. Gets in at about 8 AM. Flights can be easily be booked through the travel agency at Tarantawan Hotel. They are reputable and knowledgeable.

the Cajun

I was htere last month and just before I left checked the airfares on expedia & travelocity and I couldn't believe how cheap they were. Given the convenience of booking all before you leave I'd do it now. The rate were not cheaper when I arrived in BKK.

For example round trip Bangkok to Phuket $112.

• 3 months later...

I second the recommendation AGAINST the Lotus Hotel on Soi Wiangbua - while convenient to the Adams Apple Club, it isn't very close to anything else, not a very good area for strolling (not dangerous, just uninteresting) and the rooms were, in my opinion, overpriced. I've not tried Seven Suns, but it looks like a pleasant enough guesthouse, although you never know until you see the rooms. I've been happy with the Downtown Inn near the night market - in booking hotels, I often use asiarooms.com. As for flights to Chiang Mai, there are so many that I personally would wait to book a flight until I was in Thailand to accomodate any changes in itinerary.

http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/chiang_mai.html

Dreaded Ned's website has a list of gay-oriented hotels, including Seven Suns:

http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/bytype/2/3/

EDIT: Many people have recommended the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel as a good inexpensive choice, but I've yet to try it.

http://www.chiangmai-online.com/cmgate/rates.html

I was going to say if you fly, look at biz class, its hardly much more than coach and you get the priority check in, club access and its much nicer and maybe like $20 more.

I stayed at that place across from adams apple and didnt care for it or the owner.

I decided to leave earlier than planned and he charged me for leaving early, which I would understand if he was full and turned people away because of my booking, but I think it was me and 1 other person (maybe) staying there at the time....tacky. I told him if he needed the money that bad, take it.

I completely agree with FloridaRob. I've stayed at the Lotus Hotel and it is NOT the place to stay in Chiang Mai. Over-priced and,although, the management is not really bad it not very helpful either. There are much better and cheaper places to stay there.

the Cajun

Thanks to all for the adivce and info. My tentative plan now is to stay at Seven Suns in the old city of Chiang Mai, and to fly on Nok Air to Chiang Mai. I will be there with a Thai friend, so we will not be interested in commercial sex venues when in Chiang Mai. In BKK, my favorite hotel is Tarntawan Hotel. I have been there few times, nothing beats their location, and service.

OHGWM226

The gay bars in Chiang Mai really aren't much like most of the gay bars in Pattaya or Bangkok - Adams Apple probably comes closest to those. Most others will have a cabaret show with varying degrees of entertainment value, along with a collection of available guys (in street clothes, not gogo boy wear). There is also a collection of open air gay beer bars near the Night Market - if you can find the rock climbing wall, they are located to the right of the wall.

In terms of shopping, I found the Thapae Gate market to have much better items and prices than the Night Market. Chiang Mai is also noted for good values at the manufactory outlet stores for items like furniture, housewares, laquerware and celadon. Any cab or car driver can take you to them - each driver will have his own favorites (usually places where he gets a little "finders fee.") You will, of course, be visiting the temple on Doi Suthep. A day trip (hire a car or car and driver) to Doi Inthanon, Thailand's tallest mountain, is also very worthwhile - lots of great waterfalls. There's been a lot of rain this fall so they should be at their peak during your visit. My Thai friend and I also enjoyed a dinner at the Galae Restaurant, an open air restaurant terracing down to a reservoir lake and located in Chiang Mai's arboretum.

Rampo, I very much appreciated your preceding response regarding Chiang Mai. I will be in this city for a week (with an organized small group) in December and on Christmas Day. Your salient information will definitely aid me in enjoying this city (for the second time around although my mind is a blank re: my first visit). In addition to what you presented in your most recent response-- what can you add for one to do on this special days of "ours?"

I have yet to receive a final itinerary for the group, so I do not know what has been planned for us Americans to do on the 25th of December in Chiang Mai. (I know there will be time allowed for me to do things solo if I so desire!)

I've never been in Thailand for Christmas Day, but I don't thnk that the actual day itself has any significance to the Thai. Bars, western restaurants and shopping malls will sport Christmas and New Year's decorations from late November to Chinese New Year, the bars may have any-excuse-for-a-party parties, and many of the farang restaurants and larger hotels will offer up a "traditonal" Christmas dinner. Other than that, it's just another day in paradise.

Archived