Skytrain and Metro in Bangkok

mjd
This topic is 7088 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was last in in 2002 and the Metro wasn't in operation, but Skytrain was terrific although seemingly unutilized.

Does the Metro have station near Patpong area? Which is better? Do they go to same or different locations?

Guest msclonly

Silom Station is right there and crowded street.

Crossing the street is difficult, so be certain to take the EXIT stairway to the correct side of the street.

:+ :+ :+

Guest icon513

The metro has a different route from the Skytrain (what would be the point if they ran the same route?), but they intersect at Silom (corner of Rama IV) and Sukhumvit (corner of Asoke). The metro as currently available does a run to Hualumpong Railway Station, up Ratchadaphisek, and right to Chatuchak Weekend Market.

There's a flyover (BKK term for walkway) nearing completion that will make it easy to walk from the Silom Metro station to the Sala Daeng Skytrain station and slao make it easier to walk to Patpong venues. A similar connection is already open between the Sukhumwit Metro station and the Asoke Skytrain stop.

Yeah Sillom is crowded at night, but going a few blocks is not that difficuylt. You guys are pathetic.

>I was last in in 2002 and the Metro wasn't in operation, but

>Skytrain was terrific although seemingly unutilized.

The cost of a ride on the SkyTrain is still fairly expensive for most Thai living in Bangkok, so the primary users tend to be farang and middle class Thai. Buses cost as little as 3 baht while the lowest fare on the SkyTrain is around 25 baht, I think. When in Bangkok my boyfriend and I still tend to use taxis as the the fare for two on the SkyTrain runs about the same. Still, the SkyTrain is a blessedly quick way to travel during Bangkok's prolonged rush hours.

Guest msclonly

Yes getting around BKK on the Skytrain and Metro, but walking is a nightmare with impossible traffic due to the many bodies blocking your steps.

Arrived about 1AM from the airport at full speed and checkin to the hotel. Went for a walk to find the bars closed, but the sidewalks still there. This afternoon went shopping and found the sidewlk torn up, since list nite Only sand and a lot of holes where the sidewalk was on Surewongese, last nite.

Got to Silom Room at the Night marketeers were setting up shop and the sidewalk was impassable due to their numerous carts, storage boxes, etc. The LITTLE piece of sidewalk that remains stween the vendors is passable by only ONE person! Make more difficult when the lookie lous stop to see the many odds and ends to buy.

:+ :+ :+

Archived