Barracks Hotel Babylon Sauna enquiries...

gerefan
This topic is 7356 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone stayed at the Barracks Hotel which I understand is situated above the Babylon Sauna?

How far is it from the mainstream gay places in Bangkok?

Is it better to stay in town and then visit the Sauna rather than stay at the Barracks?

Have the earlier problems with the Babylon Sauna (open cubicles etc)been resolved?

Thanks for any advice.

Cancelled trip before but reconsidering again!

Gerefan

Guest simoninsyd

I stayed at Babylon in 2002. My room was a suite and had its own bathroom. There are 2 types of rooms - those with bathroom and those without. The room was luxurious. Compared very favourably with a 4 star (or even better!!) room. As I recall it was a short ride from the river (10 mins) and gay spots (10-15 mns) In any event the fares were ridiculously cheap. The cost (again cant recall but I think it was $150 Aussie dollars a nite) was VERY cheap. About 1/3rd the cost of a similar mainstream hotel. You also received free entry to the Sauna. Only availed myself of that once but that too was incredible. I spent 8 hours there but over 6 of that was in the best gym I have seen in years, sitting around a beautiful pool and garden setting and eating in a great (cheap) restaurant and then concluding the night with a sit down cocktail (no the drink not.....) with a cabaret/drag show thrown in. All up, exceptional value. HOWEVER, some 10 months later a friend of mine went there and found the place all locked up and Thai Tourist Police signage out the front basically saying "Tourists to Thailand should go to the Gold Buddha or the Royal Palace not places like this" It apparently had been raided and closed HOWEVER a few months after that another friend told me that he had just stayed there - it was open and was just like I described and he was told that the new owner was the son of a Thai Cabinet Minister. He was later told by a Taxi driver that the Police had been warned off the place as the Ministers family owns it!! Hope this is helpful.

Guest icon513

The story about Babylon changing ownership and being somehow involved with a government minister is absolute BS. Another Bangkok urban legend.

Archived