Attitudes towards the Unites States

Hoover42
This topic is 5852 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just found a 2007 report about the attitudes of the world towards the Unites States.

Here's the link to the report:

http://pewglobal.org/reports/pdf/256.pdf

If you jump to page 19 of the report you can view the survey results comparing attitudes towards both the government and the people of the United States, organized by country.

I can understand why many people would think unfavorably of the US government, but I was surprised to see that, in many countries, US citizens were also rated unfavorably by most respondents.

I mention this here because of the recent rise in interest in travelling to Argentina, one of the countries with the highest unfavorable opinion in the survey among non-Muslim majority countries.

For those who have been to Argentina lately, did you encounter any overt hostility from the people you met during your trip?

…Hoover

RE: Attitudes towards the United States

>I just found a 2007 report about the attitudes of the world

>towards the Unites States.

>

>Here's the link to the report:

>

>http://pewglobal.org/reports/pdf/256.pdf

>

>"I can understand why many people would think unfavorably of

>the US government, but I was surprised to see that, in many

>countries, US citizens were also rated unfavorably by most

>respondents."

Now you know why the expression "Ugly American" is used so freely by foreigners.

Thanks for the link to the survey.

Cheers,

I've been to Buenos Aires two times in 2004 and 2006 and during both trips, I experienced kindness and friendliness from the people there. It didn't matter whether you were talking to service people in restaurants or shops, or locals you were sitting next to at a cafe, or getting help when I had to have my camera repaired, or in courteous and helpful encounters with local police. That South Americans in general would not generally have a favorable opinion of Americans is more than understandable. The U.S. government treats our neighbors to the south with condescension and a self-interest that is insulting and offensive. During my travels throughout any Latin American or South American countries, I've been very touched by the many kindnesses and expressions of warmth that I've received.

I think some of our neighbors mistakenly think because I'm American that I share the views of George Bush, which I emphatically do not. If that is the case, it has taken only a second for me to disabuse them of that notion. Maybe that is the source of this current feeling. It's only eight more months until that boob is out of the White House, and hopefully we can put this shameful, incompetent and deeply dismissive political era in our country behind us.

Prior to 911 as well as afterwards,I have traveled to various countries: Thailand, Egypt, Brasil, Argentina, Chile,and Peru. Never have I personally encountered any negative attitudes from the natives when they have found out that I am from the United States. In more cases they not, they have embraced me and have related positively, showing no anti-American biases.

But when I was in a sauna in Brasil two years ago, a man of Asian descent from Los Angeles sat next to me; to his right was a guy from Spain. When the Angeleno introduced me to the Spainard-- the guy vehemently yelled: "I hate you!" The Angeleno told him that he did not hate me but our government. I didn't say anything but remained slightly stunned, as I had not expected such a reaction.

Last November when I rented an apartment for two weeks in Buenos Aires, the woman owner sought my permission to ask me (as she considered) a personal question. I responded by saying it was quite all right.

Her question was: "Is your President Bush as bad as what has been presented in the media?" She asked in such a sensitive manner. My reply was simply: "Yes,...." She seemed apologetic and sorry.

So, in terms of the thread, I think it all boils down to how one conducts her/himself in all ways and experiences while traveling outside of the country.

>I've been to Buenos Aires two times in 2004 and 2006 and

>during both trips, I experienced kindness and friendliness

>from the people there. It didn't matter whether you were

>talking to service people in restaurants or shops, or locals

>you were sitting next to at a cafe, or getting help when I had

>to have my camera repaired, or in courteous and helpful

>encounters with local police. That South Americans in general

>would not generally have a favorable opinion of Americans is

>more than understandable. The U.S. government treats our

>neighbors to the south with condescension and a self-interest

>that is insulting and offensive. During my travels throughout

>any Latin American or South American countries, I've been very

>touched by the many kindnesses and expressions of warmth that

>I've received.

>

>I think some of our neighbors mistakenly think because I'm

>American that I share the views of George Bush, which I

>emphatically do not. If that is the case, it has taken only a

>second for me to disabuse them of that notion. Maybe that is

>the source of this current feeling. It's only eight more

>months until that boob is out of the White House, and

>hopefully we can put this shameful, incompetent and deeply

>dismissive political era in our country behind us.

>

>

>

>

>

I applaud the preceding comments as well as strongly agree! In my travels to Argentina on three occasions during the past three years, I've encountered NO anti-American sentiments or biases and would encourage all to travel there to experience what lies there in terms of its culture and its people in general, esp. its men!

Guest msclonly

I have not seen any American bashing, when I travel to South America or elsewhere, except when I watch CNN news there, and a number of Congress members and their supporters berate in the strongest terms other U.S. Government leaders. This is repeated several times a day on a daily basis for some years on CNN News in every country visited. They have convinved many people around the world and at home, that Americans are not to be trusted with their evil dishonest government!

They have succeeded in brainwashing too many people in other countries, that we are an evil empire. And the chickens have come home to roost!

Will we ever be able to live down, what our enlightened leaders have done to increase their power and take over the government, when they have shown their true colors over and over?

Archived