Carnaval 2003 from Axiom's Perspective

kjun
This topic is 7747 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Great to hear, Axiom! The only thing I might add is that the Carnaval parade is as much a spiritual experience as a sensual one. We've all seen pictures of Carnaval before, but nothing prepared me for the combination of seeing the specatle while feeling the beat of the battaria energizing me. Hearing the refrain of the samba sung over and over again by 3000+ dancers, all pouring their heart into every note and every step, and seeing their jubilant faces as they give and give to the spectators was, for me, a glimpse into the heart and soul of the Brazilan people.

The next night at the X-Dimentia party at the Marina was a depressing comedown from the parade. Seeing a bunch of international x'ed out circuit queens dancing to techno music was the low point of my week in Rio. I don't think I saw a smile all night. Never again! But it was a useful contrast to see how real the real thing is and how empty the fake stuff is.

>Great to hear, Axiom! The only thing I might add is that the

>Carnaval parade is as much a spiritual experience as a sensual

>one. We've all seen pictures of Carnaval before, but nothing

>prepared me for the combination of seeing the specatle while

>feeling the beat of the battaria energizing me. Hearing the

>refrain of the samba sung over and over again by 3000+

>dancers, all pouring their heart into every note and every

>step, and seeing their jubilant faces as they give and give to

>the spectators was, for me, a glimpse into the heart and soul

>of the Brazilan people.

>

>The next night at the X-Dimentia party at the Marina was a

>depressing comedown from the parade. Seeing a bunch of

>international x'ed out circuit queens dancing to techno music

>was the low point of my week in Rio. I don't think I saw a

>smile all night. Never again! But it was a useful contrast to

>see how real the real thing is and how empty the fake stuff

>is.

Catnip- I tremendously appreciate and applaud what you wrote; I had difficulty reporting my experience; I'd wanted to be descriptive without writing a mere narrative. Unfortunately, it came off as the latter. Your response captured the true spirit and essence of what I think both of us believe and experienced about this wonderful and exciting event-- Carnaval... I am waiting for others to write about their Carnaval experiences... AX

Well, it has been exactly two weeks to a day that my traveling companion/friend and I returned from this year's Carnaval. It was my first, and indeed I was impressed. Since I stayed at the Atlantico Copacabana Hotel in October, we opted to stay there for a total of eleven days. In previous threads I have cited my take on the hotel and its convenient location to the metro-- Line 1 and three saunas (all within a short walking distance).

After we had settled into our room in late afternoon (the airport baggage section was deluged with party goers and Carnaval participants), we rested a bit then I chose to show my friend some of the neighborhood: went to Copacabana Beach area and walked around. From there back to the hotel for additional rest. Later that evening we ventured back to Av. Atlantica to Maxim's. The waitperson seated us near the front entrance where both of us could see the guys for rent making their connections. My friend got a big charge out of this, for he is a perpetual cruiser and voyeur.

The next day we were off to Ipanema for a good while. Later that evening both of us went to Roger's which was really, really slow. When I walked into the foyer, Carlos, the house masseur was near the desk; I made a deliberate point to speak to him. He recognized me from October and asked if I'd decided to get that massage; my response was affirmative. Later that evening he and I got together. Carlos gave an excellent regular massage; his erotic one did little for me. When I returned to the lounge area-- it was slower than before Carlos and I had left. My good friend had gone with hunky Lucas. When he returned-- he inquired of me about my not telling him of Lucas's prowess. I merely smiled. Because it was an extremely slow night-- my friend asked for the directions to The Point 202. One of the sauna guys gave him clear directions, for we made it with ease.

Although sterile-- the place was quite bright; after I changed-- I began to walk around to acquaint myself to its offerings. When I tired of this, I took a seat. Immediately a young comely sauna guy sat beside me. I could see that he was stroking himself, but I decided to feign ignorance. He asked a friend to come to translate; my response was perhaps later--. My friend had connected; he and his boy were in another area of the lounge just talking and talking. I continued to sit; then I moved. Next thing I witnessed was this same guy sporting the most gorgeous erection; it was too much for me. I said-- yes, lets go to a suite. He did the routine thing and procured a nice a/c'd suite for us. Alexandro, 5x8, nicely ripped bod-- beautiful silkened brown skin, and a huge endownment. We had an excellent time together, and time was NOT of the essence. At one point I had stated that only if I knew some Portuguese; both of us were locked in a tight embrace; we laughed vigorously.

I was satisfied; my sexual appetite had been satiated by one, so I left The Point and returned to the Atlantico; in my feeling guilty by leaving my friend-- I went back to The Point and found him; he had been with his guy for almost two hours.

While in Rio I went to the four saunas mentioned in this forum: liked Club 117, Estacao, The Point 202, and Roger's. At Estacao I saw a gorgeous, well-hung Mikel (activo) who didn't kiss, but at the end he kissed me oh so sensually that I should have persuaded him to kiss throughout and another Alex, a tall 21 yr old who's an outstanding kisser and activo. The next night I saw Alex back at the hotel; he visited without checking in at the desk (which was ok with me), for I did not feel threatened in any way.

While at the saunas-- I decided it was not completely valid to cite names here since the boys move around and since there's a different set of guys in some instances, depending on the days and other circumstances.

Some of our highlights: Carnaval-- the Sambodomo for the first night to see Groupa B and on the following Saturday to witness the winners at the Parade of Winners. Both events are to be experienced if you're in Rio during Carnaval. Vibrant, elegant, frolicsome are three words which come to mind. I went to the latter and sat in a hard concrete area and witnessed from 9 PM until 4 AM. I was beat! Loved the dancing and the music. The patrons were well-behaved. ...did not see any obnoxious behavior. The neighborhood of the Sambadroma is dangerous but was very well guarded. I walked to get a taxi. ...was a little paranoid, but since other folks were near-- that eased my mind! It was the worse neighborhood I'd seen in Rio.

If you want to know about restaurants-- email me or write a thread if you are really interested. Also note what I mentioned in other threads.

...went to Le Boy--Rua Raul Pompeia 94-- ...did not like the music but did like the guys on the platform. This night they had two serious men in costume who performed with vigor; they also had a fashion show. ...hot models/dancers. ...tastefully designed garments and hats-- for gay men... Upon leaving the taxi vendors wanted to rip us off by charging $R20. I said no-- $R7. He said $R15; my friend and I walked to the corner and hailed a taxi and made it back to our hotel at the rate of what we had paid to get there-- $R7. I told my friend that he could waste his money, but I was not going to, especially with taxis when I knew better. He and I took taxis all over the place; we also took a bus on a Sunday which wound up taking us to the largest favela. I freaked, but my friend assured me that since we were on a bus that we should feel safe. Well, the main street was rather quiet; some people were having their own minor samba in the street.

Went to Incontrus-- very, very dark-- crowded yet tame-- cool behavior on the part of the throngs assembled.

My friend and I went to Scala Gay Ball-- very, very crowded and festive and a MUST DO during Carnaval; we also went to Banda Gay Parade in Ipanema the Saturday afternoon preceding the Carnaval Parades in the Sambadroma; this too is a MUST. One drag queen was dressed like a police officer; she butched it up in directing the traffic at various intervals. Lots and lots of people of all sexual persuasions, but nothing as outrageous as the gay pride parades in the States or Leather in SF, etc. which was just fine with me. I appreciated these events in Rio for what they represented and who participated.

All in all Carnaval, as Tri and others stated previously, must be experiened at least once. Depending on what I'm doing in '04, I would like to return with a group of gay guys. Within a few months, I'll put the web address here; it's based in Rio.

Well, guys, I've written a lot; I must stop. One MUST experience this to flavor the essence of these events. If anyone has any specific questions, send me an email via this site, or do a thread where others can respond.

Archived