Viva Villarta

Big Daddy
This topic is 7894 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Returned home yesterday after a week in Puerto Villarta. Many are expecting me to report back that the highlight of the trip was the daily release of baby sea turtles into Banderas Bay or perhaps my plane being hit by lightning on the way back.I believe however that I have discovered a diamond in the rough. Villarta is not the male "wasteland" as previously reported, nor is is the "promised land" of Rio.

As I had earlier stated, fine restaurants have a calming effect on me and believe me Villarta has great dining establishments. I really needed that calming effect. The men are hot, they are everywhere, and believe me they are available.

Of course it is a completely different scene from what I can only fantacize for now what Rio is. Just because it is different does not mean you cannot have a great time.

We stayed at the Sheraton Bouganvila, which is your basic uptight gringo mega resort. My friend George and myself each had a one bedroom suite in the condo section of the resort. Very nice with great facilities including pools and a beach. The staff was nice, but would not describe them as "friendly". It seemed like the hotel had more security guards then maids. Both George and myself are able to get along very well in Spanish, and as George put it, getting puppies was like "shooting fish in a barel". The first night George brought Freddy home, a well educated, very nice 22 year old. The security gestapo stopped us, but George himself being the manager of a big name resort in Phoenix, was very comfortable dealing with the "help". He advised him that he would not discuss this with him and to take him to the manager immediately. (This was 3 AM) After a few telephone calls, the security guy (also very cute) asked George to simply sign Freddy onto the register at the front desk. The next day, I did the same with Alex. From that point on, we each had a puppy signed into our rooms and whenever we were stopped, simply advised the staff that the puppy was registered. When they checked, they found a second name assigned to the room. They never did figure out that we had different puppies each night.

If we had been paying for the rooms, I would have probably been more upset about their policy than I was. Since it was free, I put up with the security boys watching us, but it was fun getting around them. I would never stay there again, unless it was free. The fact is that there are numerous gay friendly and gay hotels and B&B's in Villarta. A place that I would recommend, especially for a first time visit or going there without a travel companion is the Blue Chairs Hotel and Beach Bar. It is gay owned and operated. I believe their web site is bluechairs.com. They have a bar/restaurant on the sixth floor roof that has spectacular views of Villarta (men also). To get a good feel of the Villarta gay scene, do a word search Gay Mexico Travel and you will come up with a wealth of information.

Tomorrow I will report on the food scene and what to do and on Tuesday, I am saving the best for last. We took many digital photos and I plan on posting them maybe on a Yahoo site like Brazilnut.

I can honestly say that I am very glad that I went to Villarta. The people are all very friendly. The gay community is active and open and I really felt welcome there.

Until tomorrow,

Big daddy

Archived