Post for the Russophiles

Trixie
This topic is 7876 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Zdrastvuyte y'all!

I'm hoping that some of you russophiles out there might have some knowledge of things beyond the Volga. I am seriously contemplating a Silk Road Adventure in July of 2003. Meaning I will be spending time in some of the ex-soviet "Stans", Uzbek, Kazakh, and Kyrgyz to be exact, as well as Xinjiang in Western China.

Now, Trixie doesn't need any alarmist chatter

regarding the "situation" in those parts... we know to keep an eye on the news. We're not crazy, but we also know that not all muslims are out to get us. Assuming things get no worse over the next year there, the experience is worth the slight risk.

That said, I'd like to know whether anyone has news about Almaty, Bishkek, Tashkent... these fairly slavicized cities must have some sort of gay scene. Bars, plazas...where Are the boys?

(Trixie is hoping to be the first poster on this board to get plowed in a yurt!)

La Belle Trix

Trix,

In the hope that you have already begun to study Russian for your journey, the best place to begin seeking up-to-date info for these areas would be through [http://www.gay.ru]

I would advise not to expect much because the areas where you plan to go are pretty "closed" and especially to foreigners. Plus the local authorities are even less open minded in those place than in Russia today (and that is pretty close-minded!!!).

Enjoy the travels but beware of yak milk.

Archived