David Lynch and Mullholland Dr.

Guest BenDover
This topic is 8237 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest BenDover

Saw David Lynch's most recent contribution to my amused and very entertained bafflement. What is up with that guy? I think I liked the movie. I know I loved the characters, the art direction was incredible, the sound track totally haunting and right on the mark, scene after scene of mind-altering relationships, premises, concepts. I gaze at the screen, believing that at any moment I will grasp the key to what is going on and understand what is happening. The film ends, and I am sitting there, knowing full well that I have been entertained. I also know that some emotional truth has just been painted on celluloid (the Silencio scene especially), but it is unnamable, almost unutterable. I have awakened two and a half hours later from a deep, phantasmagoric dream, stretching to hold onto fleeting images, attempting to explain what seemed to logical and reasonable in the dream-state, but now almost the visual compliment to gibberish. Is this art? Absolutely.

Please, someone else tell me what you think of this movie, and David Lynch as a director and visionary.

Guest WetDream

I saw Mulholland Drive last week and, like you, was entertained by it. However I don't think that it is up to Lynch's best work (Blue Velvet and Eraserhead). He has a strong sense of style (trained as a painter) but his deliberate obfuscation can get a bit tedious. What's the point of trying to figure out something that is deliberately ambiguous? The Silencio scene was fabulous. I felt that Ann Miller was clearly puzzled by her presence in such a film; too bad she couldn't have demonstrated her famous "nerve taps."

Archived