Today in History for 6th April 2024

Historical Events

1886 - Declaration of Berlin neutralizes Tonga
1903 - In Holland, railroad and dock workers go out on strike, but the government passes anti-strike bills, calls out troops, and promptly ends the strike on the 13th April
1945 - World War II: Dutch city of Coevorden freed from German occupation by Canadian forces
1945 - Battle of Okinawa: Giant Japanese battleship Yamato heads to Okinawa with orders to beach herself and be destroyed defending the island
1986 - CBS' fact based "Nobody's Child", story of Marie Balter
2013 - Bayern Munich win their 23rd German Bundesliga title with 6 games to spare

More Historical Events »

Famous Birthdays

1935 - James Graham, 8th Duke of Montrose, Southern Rhodesia-born hereditary peer of the Peerage of Scotland
1943 - Harry Conroy, trade unionist
1944 - John Stax [Fullagar], British rock bassist, and harmonica player (Pretty Things, 1963-67 - "Don't Bring Me Down"; "Cry To Me"), born in Crayford, Kent, England
1959 - Dianne Brill, Tampa, fashion designer/party girl (Queen of the Night)
1961 - Rory Bremner, impressionist
1979 - Frederick MGDL Windsor, son of English prince Michael

More Famous Birthdays »

Famous Deaths

1817 - Bonaventura Furlanetto, Italian composer, dies at 78
1983 - Ana Maria, Salvador guerilla leader, murdered
1990 - Nancy Hawkes, (1946 best dressed woman), dies at 73
2001 - Charles Pettigrew, American soul singer (Charles and Eddie - "Would I Lie To You?"), dies of cancer at 37
2011 - Nabi Bux Khan Baloch, Pakistani Sindhi scholar (compiled first Sindhi-English dictionary), dies at 93
2018 - Daniel Akaka, American educator and politician (Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Hawaii), dies at 93

More Famous Deaths »