Jelly's Last Jam

This Encores production of the homage to the music of Jelly Roll Morton is pretty spectacular. The cast is superb, and I could write a sonnet to each. LOL. Nicholas Christopher is terrific as Jelly...so hard to tread that line of the anti-hero...mistreating everyone around him, and still make him likable. (Especially after Gregory Hines' Tony winning original which is still pretty iconic in my head.) Billy Porter is the best I've seen him lately as the Chimney Man. Leslie Uggams at age 80 is in great voice and looks like a million bucks. Joaquina Kalukangu sings the hell out of Anita. Like in Paradise Square two years ago, she holds her long notes that folks just don't wait for her to stop to start applauding. (which I hate, by the way.) And the highlight for me was the three original Hunnies: Allison Williams, Mamie Duncan Gibbs, and Stephanie Pope.
And the dancing is the best on Broadway this season...(and it's not on Broadway.) The tapping is spectacular. 
I don't know how they managed to put this together in their short rehearsal time, but I recommend it highly.