People's Choice Awards 2024

As an awards show whore, I was especially interested in this year's edition. When I was in my early 20s, there wasn't an Adam Sandler movie to be missed. In the bio, Saturday Night Live is where they mentioned he got his start. To the contrary - I vividly remember him being a goofball on the MTV game show "Remote Control" long before being on SNL. He gave an acceptance speech as if he won "Sexiest Man Alive", which, like his movie career, got to be too boring after a while. He's a well-respected guy in Hollywood, and I'm happy for him.

Lenny Kravitz got a music icon award, which was nice to see. I highly doubt he won any actual people's choice awards if he was ever nominated, as he's never been the most popular musician compared to other male solo artists throughout his career, but he thanked everyone under the sun except for his daughter, which I found interesting. He performed a lip-sync melody of mostly well-known songs in his long career. It's amazing to me that he is so successful at burying his "Romeo Blue" days. His music really improved over time, as "Let Love Rule" sounds too much like "Hey Jude".

This could be the first award show I've seen in my lifetime where a best movie category was a "Oh, by the way, Barbie wins best movie" as an actress for a different category from that film was taking the stage. I know that there's only so much time, but that's a whopper of a category to not give time to on it's own.

Next one, the Screen Actor's Guild awards. This is MY television season to enjoy!