Accountants for SWers?

Help! Does anyone know an accountant comfortable with a small business owner such as myself? Sadly, my friend/client/accountant died last year. I need a new accountant. I'm not unfamiliar with taxes, but I've never done my business taxes or filing and all the sudden I am in the dark on what steps I need to take to maintain my business correctly.

Hi, IronMaus!  I don’t have a recommendation for you as far as an accountant goes but if you find yourself nearing a tax filing deadline and you still haven’t found an accountant I’d file for a filing date extension.  That would buy you some time while you look for a good accountant.  

I’m a CPA and would suggest you find someone local to do your taxes if you live in a place that has state and city taxes.  I’m only familiar with the state taw laws for my state and an adjacent state.

If your accountant practiced by himself and you weren’t able to get your accounting records, I’d also contact your state accountancy board and find out who has his accounting records.   It will be a lot easier for your new accountant if they have his records if there are things like depreciation schedules, loss coverovers, etc that may not be on the return.