Barbara Walters $8M estate goes up for auction on November 6

Ali Gator

If you are looking for some tasteful (or tasteless) Christmas gifts, this year, you may want to head over to Bonhams New York next month. There you will find the auction house hosting "Barbara Walters: American Icon" on November 6. (An online auction will run from October 29 - November 7, if you can't make it to the auction house). The auction will have various offerings from the $8M estate she left behind when she died at 93 last December 30. The items include art, jewelry, personal items, furniture and more from the luxurious Upper East Side apartment she called home for over 30 years.

The broadcast legend’s 120-piece collection includes “everything one could want in a jewelry collection,” said Jean Ghika, Bonhams global head of jewelry, including jewels by JAR and pieces from renowned American designers like Harry Winston, Angela Cummings, and Seaman Schepps.

Walter’s Harry Winston platinum diamond engagement ring from television producer Merv Adelson has an auction estimate of $600K - $900K. The couple were married from 1981 -1984, then remarried from 1986-92. It is said Walters never left her home without the ring on her finger even after they spilt in 1992. 

“My mother was a devoted journalist, loyal friend, and loving mother. Our home was always filled with interesting and beautiful reminders of her incredible, diverse life," said Walters’ daughter, Jacqueline Danforth. “I know she would find comfort that these pieces she cherished so much will be enjoyed and cared for.”

For more details:  

Edited by Ali Gator

• Ali Gator changed the title to Barbara Walters $8M estate goes up for auction on November 6

Read some gossipy story where allegedly Barbara Walters and Richard Pryor had had a brief affair. I can't imagine. Love(d) Richard Pryor. Laughed my ass off as a teenager. My favorite Richard Pryor bit was the one about how white people date verses non white people. It's on the album "Is it something I said?" Still so funny. (Sorry I didn't post a link but I still haven't figured out how to do that on this tablet. I'm still a tech rookie. Guess I need to ask the nearest five year old to show me how.)

Edited by Becket

WOW - never heard that about her and Pryor. It wouldn't surprise me - she admitted to having many affairs in her 2008 memoir "Audition" . When I read her book (which was interesting and well-written) I had my doubts she was revealing every affair she had; I just believed she had many more than what she wrote about.