The truth about Vascepa/IPE/EPA?

I'm at a medical conference, and there were two lectures (one right before lunch, the other after) which discussed a fairly new medication to lower triglycerides, basically a purified form of the fish oil icosapentaenoic acid or eicosapentaenoic acid (icosapent ethyl or Vascepa). I remember seeing this medication introduced at last year's meeting, and feeling rather suspicious, as both speakers for that talk disclosed financial relationships with the drug manufacturer. Also, this medication (purified fish oil) reminded me of a similar medication which came out with a flourish several years ago, Lovaza, which was a mixture of this chemical (EPA) with another fish oil (DHA). It later turned out Lovaza didn't really do anything helpful. 

In the first lecture, the lecturers showed a study in which showed that in those who'd had a prior cardiac event, compared to "placebo," those taking the IPE had slightly fewer events (best of the two studies showed 21 people had to take IPE for one to benefit). Yet the American Heat Association guidelines only suggested "considering" adding this to those whose LDL was controlled but triglycerides still high (IPE lowers triglycerides). I'm always suspicious when supposed impartial lectures seem promotional, and are given by conflicted lecturers. 

The second talk was given by a single (older) lecturer who started his lecture by saying that he was proud to have never taken $$ from pharmaceutical companies. His lecture covered far more medications that just IPE/Vascepa, but when that subject came up, he said he had major qualms about the studies the IPE manufacturers presented to the FDA for approval. Basically, what he said was that the "placebo" they used was mineral oil, which is known as atherogenic (causing artery disease). I truly appreciated his more balanced presentation, and it definitely increased my wariness regarding IPE...