China bans use of iPhones by govt. officials and other workers!

OP note: is their symbiotic relationship over? Can apple thrive with an unfriendly China? 

Apple suppliers are also suffering from this ban!

WWW.CNBC.COM

The reported restrictions, which have not been publicly announced by Beijing, raise concerns that Apple's products could get caught up in global tensions.

I didn't realize that iPhones are now increasingly assembled and produced outside China, as are its components: South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam, India.

WWW.ANDROIDAUTHORITY.COM

The iPhone is assembled in two Asian countries, but components like the cameras, battery, and display come...

Edited by Marc in Calif

On 9/8/2023 at 1:22 PM, Marc in Calif said:

I didn't realize that iPhones are now increasingly assembled and produced outside China, as are its components: South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam, India

And not just iPhones. 

China, ‘factory of the world,’ is losing more of its manufacturing and export dominance, latest data shows

The article puts a lot of the shifts on COVID, which was certainly a big factor.  But even as COVID fades. getting corporate supply chains out of China seems to be accelerating.

The big picture prognosis I keep reading in bits and pieces in various articles is that, over the long run, this drains China, and India is the big winner.   I don't follow trade policy enough to have a clear opinion about it.   But it seems like there will be more of these tit for tat, "You ban this and we'll ban that" measures.

The other interesting thing, based on spending all of 10 minutes Googling it, is Apple's market share seems to be growing in China, regardless, especially among high-end users.  Maybe that's why they are banning it.   Apple at least seems to be winning customers, even as they move supply chains out.  In the last quarter of 2022 and first of 2023 Apple topped 20 % market share, that hyperlinked article says.

• Apple saw the biggest YoY growth in Q2 as the OEM offered generous price-cuts for the iPhone 14 series during the 618 period. Besides, it still has no competitors in the high-end market which has proven to be more resilient during market headwinds.

spacer.png

Xi, I wonder why! 🤔