Foot Volley / Futvoly

Karl-G

Today by accident I came across a group of young Brazilian men in a sandy volleyball court in a park in Fort Lauderdale.  They were playing some game I did not recognize.  They were dressed in shorts or brief bathing suits with tee shirt, and one wore just a brief bathing suit.  Then I noticed the words "Foot Volley" or "Futvoly" across the rear of their suits.  I went and asked a guy about it.  He said it is "Foot Volley Ball" and is very popular.  It combines soccer with beach volleyball.  You can't play soccer on a beach, but this game allows you to use all your soccer skills in a relatively small space, and scoring is beach volleyball style and fast.  Basically, it is volleyball, except that you cannot use your hands - only feet, head, chest, shoulders.  The most spectacular play is the "shark attack," where a guy runs up to the net, leaps upside down and hits the ball above the net with the sole of his foot, not the side.  There are a number of shark attacks captured on Youtube, and they are fun to watch.  It looks like an enjoyable new sport (technically invented in 1965 by a Brazilian), and spectators get to watch cute Brazilian guys cavorting in brief bathing suits in their local parks or at the beach.