Cancun or somewhere else?

Doe Be Doe

I'm assuming that you are located somewhere with better access to the Caribbean side of Mexico that to the Pacific?  I have found the water on the Caribbean side to be much nicer than on the Pacific coast, but I found Cancun to be overrated.  I much preferred further down the Mayan Riviera, past Playa del Carmen to places like Akumal and Tulum.  Unless you prefer the party atmosphere of Cancun.  Sorry I don't have a specific hotel in mind - it has been quite a few years since I was on that coast, and hotel ratings can fluctuate quite a bit. 

Cancun has beautiful water and beach, based on geographical location.  However, it's not what I would call real Mexico, as authenticity of experience is more like being back in the States.  Cancun attracts a large number of tourists who go to the trouble of getting their passport just to bubble themselves in an all-inclusive and eat hamburgers.  

If you just want an easy weekend, it fits the bill.  Easy in and out.  Quick immigration process.  Lots of english spoken.

If you want something a little more unique, I'd suggest what @CuriousByNaturesaid.  

Cancun just lost their Ritz-Carlton, but it freshly renovated and is now called the Kempinski.  Great property that kept nearly everything it had as a Ritz.  Lower prices.

If I had to choose a favorite AI, I'd recommend the Hyatt ZIva.  It's got the best location of any hotel in Cancun if you're a beach person.  Huge gym.  Massive pool complex.