Anyone have cataract surgery recently?

handiacefailure

Has anyone had the surgery recently?     

Not sure why I'm so scared of having it done since I had RK in 1996.   

I'm 56 and have known I had them developing for about five years    When she saw me in July for my annual dialated exam she suggested I have it done then but agreed to put it off if she gave me a new script for my glasses (only use them on the computer and reading and notice I am having trouble driving at night)   I am a type 1 diabetic and my eye doctor said that is probably why I developed them before I was sixty and diabetics are a lot more prone to them (weird thing is I have no retinopathy at all and have been a diabetic for 41 years, I had some background retinopathy about a decade ago but it totally cleared up).   I see the surgeon for a consult in a couple weeks.

I haven't had it, but I know many people who have, and generally speaking it is quite low risk for the majority of people.  Of course any surgical procedure has a degree of risk but I have not personally known anyone who has had any complications.  Prior to the advent of lens implants I understand it was a much more serious undertaking, with the patient having to keep their head virtually immobile as the eyes healed.  My great-uncle had his done in the early days of lens implants, and I remember him fearing he would have to lie flat with a sack of beans on either side of his head to keep it from moving as he recovered, like his mother had to do several decades earlier.  But his operation in the 1980s required none of that, and I think it is way more advanced today.