Rave Reviews For Parade at Encores

kyleham

Encores did it again. After an amazing production of Into The Woods (Now on Broadway), they bring us another production...Parade! It is unfortunate, this production was only 5 days. The subject matter is so relevant today even though it is based on a true story from the 1920's. An all star cast lead by the brilliant Ben Platt. I do hope they can figure out a way to bring this to Broadway as a new group of theater goes deserve too see this. Although, the premise is depressing it is riveting! Lastly, it received stellar reviews.

I am also not a huge fan of Ben, but he was perfect for this role. (And age appropriate.) Sang it well, and although his "Come Up To My Office" wasn't as over the top as the original, it still skeeved me out. The director's choice to leave him sitting in his "cell" for the curtain call was very powerful. He was brought some water, paced a bit, etc. It was unsettling as the audience chatted and caught up, came and went, to have that reminder of his captivity right in front of us. Michael Arden has really become a director to watch. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another recently announced transfer, this will move to the Jacobs theater with previews starting in February, opening in April, and closing August. I'm fortunate to live near the theater district and can walk to box offices to save the fees, but a friend who loves Ben Platt almost got tickets on line clicking on the first listing when putting "Parade Broadway" as the search. Called me to query about the high fees, and of course she was on a secondary site. Telecharge's fees are bad enough, but buying through BroadwayWorld or ticketnetwork is just a scam. 

I enjoyed this difficult piece, but don't need to see it again. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:49 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I love the score/show, but I can't stand Ben Platt.

However, I'm in the minority on this.  Encores did well with this one.

I can’t stand Ben Platt either. I’ll probably see Parade once/if he’s replaced. Otherwise I won’t bother. 

Edited by musclestuduws