Jonas Kaufmann in Australia Again!

sydneyboy

The greatest tenor of our time is returning to Australia mid year to sing in a staged production of Lohengrin for Opera Australia in Melbourne, not Sydney this time unfortunately. 
It is astonishing that Opera Australia has managed to entice him to Australia for the fourth time. I have fond memories of his Parsifal, Andrea Chenier and a recital in Sydney. He is the most in demand singer in the world and it is obvious that he has developed a special relationship with the management of Opera Australia. Long may it continue!

Edited by sydneyboy

• 7 months later...

Opera Australia has just announced its 2023 season. It is a very lean season, reflective of the company’s dire financial situation. There is however one bright spot yet another visit by Jonas Kaufmann to Sydney singing concert performances of La Gioconda with a strong supporting international cast. 

I can only repeat that it is astonishing that Opera Australia can attract arguably the most in demand singer in the world now for the fifth time. 

• 11 months later...

Last night I attended a concert version of La Gioconda at the Sydney Opera House. A dream cast. Jonas Kaufmann, Ludovic Tezier and a magnificent Gioconda the Spanish soprano Saioa Hernandez. The rest of the cast were seasoned internationals. Pinchas Streinberg conducted.

The Sydney Opera House is 50 years old this year and I have been a patron from the beginning. After a night like last night one can be accused of overstatement but I cannot recall a more entertaining evening in the past 50 years. The singing was nothing short if spectacular and the artists were rapturously received by the audience in particular Ms Hernandez.

As an aside I surprised this opera is not performed more often. It is wonderfully tuneful and surely no harder to cast than the big Verdi operas.