Spas in NYC

Guy Fawkes

Went to Shangrila today for Jorge. Everything I've heard is true; he massaged muscles I didn't know I had! VGL, too. Not very talkative, as he's still unsure of his English, but a very nice, accommodating guy. Mark told me that he's received lots of favorable comments about him. Mark also told me that the Shangrila masseurs work at that spa only, but some of the Utopia masseurs spend a day at Shangrila. Really a first class operation!

Went to Shangrila today for Jorge. Everything I've heard is true; he massaged muscles I didn't know I had! VGL, too. Not very talkative, as he's still unsure of his English, but a very nice, accommodating guy. Mark told me that he's received lots of favorable comments about him. Mark also told me that the Shangrila masseurs work at that spa only, but some of the Utopia masseurs spend a day at Shangrila. Really a first class operation!

Agreed. Not that I want Jorge to book up so I can't ever get an appointment...but I do want him to do well because he's very skilled and very anxious to please. Good guy. Tip him well...he is a gem.

I just had a session with Ryan at 27 Men Spa. The massage was a little light for my tastes, but he was very interactive. The experience, overall, was pretty good. I tipped 20% and he seemed confused. Did I tip too little? I felt like he was maybe expecting more, and I felt bad that I didn’t have more money on me.

IMO, 20% is more than enough for most services. However for a massage with extras to leave a $10 tip may be insulting. To be fair, as a newbie, I used 20% as a rule of thumb but this forum..along with some pretty amazing masseurs...have taught me otherwise.

While we're on the subject of tipping. I had my first masseur that I found on massuer finder today. I've always gone to guys at the spas. Fee was $150 and I gave him $180. Is it necessary to tip beyond the fee?

There's two different scenarios here: 1.) Tipping in a spa where the house takes a cut and 2.) Tipping an independent contractor who comes to your place/you go to theirs. (Basic math of a spa - $60 massage (let's say 30% goes to masseur = $20 + 20% tip = $32). So for someone in a spa you should tip remembering that the fee the masseur receives for the services is small and the bulk comes from your tip.

And scenario 2.) The whole fee goes to the masseur. $150 massage = $150. I think general consensus from this board is that, unless the independent contractor incurred some unexpected cost, that the fee is the fee ($Total = $150) and in a spa you should always tip to the level of service received.

The only spas I go to are Utopia and Shangrila. Masseurs at Utopia get one-third of the $60 we pay for an hour. My usual tip is $60. That means I'm paying $120 for a satisfying massage experience, which is on the low end of what massages cost these days. That's reasonable for me, and a decent outcome for the masseur. When I go to a non-spa masseur, either incall or at his place, I don't tip.

If I happen to be short of cash, I use a credit card to pay the spa. Utopia charges $5 for using a credit card, but that's OK. I'd rather pay the $5 than give a tip that's too small.

Rugger paid $50 at Men's Spa. IMHO, 20% was way, way, way too low. How much of that $50 did the masseur get? If you liked the massage, I'd tip him more next time, and explain that you were short of cash the first time. I think your masseur will appreciate that, and give you very good service!

Would love to hear about Jorge. PM me thanks.

While we're on the subject of tipping. I had my first masseur that I found on massuer finder today. I've always gone to guys at the spas. Fee was $150 and I gave him $180. Is it necessary to tip beyond the fee?

Which spa u going always ?

Just visited HANOI (Cuban) @ Time Sq spa, and WOW... not at all was I was looking for but glad I found him. Just wow, very deep tissue massage, strong hands, left feeling amazing and sore... that’s how good the massage was. Building the relationship with him and I’m sure it will get more interactive but honestly, if you’re looking for a good deep tissue this is your guy. Also facilities super clean... I was impressed.

It’s all decided by your self.

But one thing is what I am sure : this is not same when u consume at a restaurant.

I don’t disagree that $12 or $10 is way low BUT... I’m also not in the camp of 100% tips. To each their own.

These guys could work at a Chinatown restaurant and make $10 an hour or they could do massage - the guys I’ve talked to say they would pick spa all day long. So they make the $20 fee and another $20-50 or more tip. That works out to $40-70 per hour. I understand they often can’t go back to back but the amount they make in a day (for being unlicensed, no professional training - is not a bad living. It’s not unheard of to make $300-500 in a day of work. 5 days a week let’s call it $2,000 in a week. $8,000 a month (tax free).