Christiane Amanpour: Best Foreign Correspondent since Murrow?

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5563 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With respect, she’s probably the “best known” foreign correspondent.

Christiane was made for CNN and CNN International--exotic looks with posh British accent parachuting “live-on-the-scene” in war zones. CNN likes exotic looking news readers with upper class British and Aussie accents. Even BBC doesn’t sound like BBC English anymore; you can hear several British regional accents on BBC nowadays. Anyway, enough of my rant about CNN and CNN-I.

There are a number of foreign correspondents far better than Amanpour: Martha Teichner (CBS News), Ann Garrels (formerly ABC and NBC News; now NPR), Ofabia Quist-Arcton (BBC World Service, NPR), Lyse Doucet (BBC World Service), to name a few. Garrels was one of 16 correspondents who remained in Baghdad during the start of the war. Quist-Arcton is reporting from places in Africa most people don’t seem to care.

My award goes to Marie Colvin who writes for The Times and The Sunday Times of London. She is your classic 1940s foreign correspondent: not very good looking, chain smoking and hard-hitting journalist. She was hit by a grenade thrown at her by Sri Lankan forces while on assignment in rebel-held north. As a result, she lost a vision on one eye (she wears an eye patch proudly) and she's deaf in one ear. Few in America know her, even though she’s American.

Archived