Harvey Milk deserves no credit for the defeat for Prop 6

Guest ReturnOfS
This topic is 5580 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ReturnOfS

RE: Harvey Milk Todaya

In a previous post I already talked about Milk debating Briggs at every opportunity, but its a good point worth repeating.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both!

Dan White was a very troubled man. Of that, there is no doubt. The "truth" or "facts" of why he killed Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone (who sadly always gets overlooked; you would think Milk was the only man killed that night) will never really be known. We can only surmise based on circumstansial evidence.

I doubt that Harvey Milk was killed because he was gay; Mayor Moscone wasn't. But there may be details we will never know. Did he purposely go out of his way to block White's reappointment after telling White he wouldn't do that? Who knows? Was it about the alleged bribes? Who knows?

Does anything justify what White did? No way. No sane person would ever argue that. He should have spent his life in prison. But he probably was crazy and that didn't happen.

Harvey Milk was a politician, not a saint. I don't see that portrayed in the film. Politicians make deals, dirty and otherwise. That isn't protrayed in the film. His sordid personal life is glossed over in the film. That's not showing a full portrait of the man. That's what I'd like to see in any biography. Canonization is boring.

As for Prop 6, I was living in California at the time and I don't remember those polls talked about here. I'd like to see them. I agree that Harvey Milk did a lot that was VISIBLE regarding Prop 6 but I don't think that had much impact on the outcome. I doubt he changed many straight minds and their vote made the difference. Afterall, they were more than 75% of the vote, if not more. Milk got a lot of attention and it brought him to prominence but the loudest voices -- on either side -- are not usually the ones who make a difference. That's what I'm saying.

Guest zipperzone

Interesting comments, however my question was referring to the nut ball, little Tommy Cruise. :-)

Archived