Liza's at the Palace

Guest scortlovr
This topic is 5608 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest scortlovr

Went to see Liza to pay tribute to one of the last living gay icons. I must admit I was skeptical at first. I always thought Liza's time had come and gone with "Cabaret" and "New York, New York" and that unlike Madonna, who's reinvented herself so many times she herself probably has no clue who she is anymore, Liza's always stayed the same - her affectations, her hair, her whole look. So I went, frankly expecting a somewhat tacky show.

I got to admit I was really moved. I'm still not sure what moved me more, Liza's performance or the incredible love and adoration she was getting from her audience (lots and lots and lots of adoring queens, young and old!). I thought to myself - good for us: we may be obsessed with youth and all things young, but we can still show respect where respect is due.

Then I got all nostalgic. I remembered seeing Liza in the late 70's partying at Studio 54 (she was in her 30's then, I was barely 20) and I thought, okay, she really does represent the end of an era. But maybe, she also represents New York City today - out of shape, huffing and puffing with more energy than the body can handle, yet still showing glitter and even moments of fabulousness (is that a word?) so I thought - hell - you go Liza! you go New York City! I've always loved you and I always will.

Too much ranting - sorry - just thought I'd share . . .

I saw Liza last Friday evening and after a couple of days of doctor ordered bed rest for dehydration, she was in top form and really delivered the show her fans had come to see. Her voice was in good shape and she still knows how to "strike a pose!"

Act One was terrific with Liza singing some of her classic hits, like "Cabaret," "Maybe This Time," and "My Own Best Friend." She also has some good zingers aimed, not only at her own topsy-turvy life and problems but her ex husbands, too.

Act Two also has Liza belting out classics like "And the World Goes Round," and "New York, New York." The pre-opening press had announced that she would be recreating her god-mother, Kay Thompson's, 1950's cabaret act, and although I never saw Kay do it, I was left a a bit disappointed. Poor Liza really can't dance anymore and she's pretty much bionic from the hips down, but no real dance steps to speak of, but as I said early, the girl can still strike a pose!

Yet, it's the wave of love the flows to and from the star and her fans that is overwhelming. The audience Friday night LOVED her and was very vocal about it. It was like being at a love-in! I have to admit that her final curtain call number "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" left a tear in my eye.

A wonderful performer. One of the few true living legends of our time. So nice to see her back on top of her game and in good form.

ED

PS Some really handsome guys in the sudience!

Guest ncm2169

< one of the last living gay icons

Which is who?

< One of the few true living legends of our time

I agree, but she'll never overtake her Mother in terms of sheer talent. Just the thought of Judy singing "Swannee" sends serious shivers up my spine.

Did anyone see Liza on Larry King in 1992 on the evening of her wedding to David Gest? She was utterly disgusting - a drugged out, boozed out mess. x(

Is there any "conventional wisdom" about why she's such a "fag hag?" (I apologize to anyone who is offended by that term). Is there some deep psychological scarring due to her Father, Vincente Minnelli, being caught in bed with a man, and being a fairly well known bisexual in La La Land?

>< one of the last living gay icons

>

>

>

>Is there any "conventional wisdom" about why she's

>such a "fag hag?" (I apologize to anyone who is

>offended by that term).

THE QUESTION MAY BE WHY ANY WOMAN IS A 'FAG HAG' OR GAY ICON. MANY REASONS HAVE BEEEN ENUMERATED, SOMETIMES BY THE SUBJECTS IN QUESTION.

s there some deep psychological

>scarring due to her Father, Vincente Minnelli, being caught in

>bed with a man, and being a fairly well known bisexual in La

>La Land?

ASKED BY A REPORTER ABOUT MINELLI'S SEXUAL ORIENTATION, ANN MILLER REPLIED, "HONEY, YOU HAD TO CLOSE THE WINDOW SO HE WOULDN'T FLY OUT!"

MINELLI REPORTEDLY HAD AN AFFAIR WITH GENE KELLY DURING THE FILMING OF "THE PIRATE." KELLY'S PERFORMANCE IN THAT FILM IS ONE OF THE FEW IN WHICH HE HAS SEX APPEAL. NOT JUST A SMILE. HE'S ALIVE BELOW THE WAIST.

"I'd say that's a bit of an extreme reaction, now wouldn't you?" -- N.F. Bates

Lankypeters

Archived