9 TO 5 THE MUSICAL

jackhammer91406

This topic is 5101 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Last Wednesday evening a friend and I went to see this new musical in it's pre-Broadway tryout here in Los Angeles.

Yes it is taken directly from the hit movie of the 70"s starring Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda and Dolly Parton. the book of the musical is written by the same screenwriter of the movie and is very faithful to the film. the new music and lyrics for the musical are written by none other than Dolly Parton herself.

The talent behind the show includes Joe Mantello who directed WICKED and the same producers from the recent Broadway show

THE DROWSY CHAPERONE.

The cast includes;

Allison Janney (of West Wing) in the Lily Tomlin role of Violet Newstead,

Stephanie J Block ( of WICKED and BOY FROM OZ fame) in the Jane Fonda role of Judy Bernly,

and

Megan Hilty (L.A. audiences have raved to her Galinda in WICKED) in the Dolly Parton role of Doralee Rhodes.

Allison Janey is a lot of fun as the always passed for promotion hard worker hitting the glass ceiling. She sings and dances like a champ and the laughs are fast and funny. Watch out when she does her "One Of The Boys" number in the 2nd act. great!

Stephanie J Block takes shy, stressed out dumped wife to a whole new level. Watching her finally grow into a strong resourceful woman is wonderful to behold. When she belts out "Get Out And Stay Out" to her ex husband in the 2nd act she shows why she was such a hit as Elphaba in WICKED.

But, the revelation for the evening is Megan Hilty who has made audiences in L.A. howl in laughter as Galinda for the past year. She has channeled Dolly in this performance of the busty, country secretary chased by the cad boss all around the office. Not only does she have the Dolly moves, but she has the Dolly accent and the pipes. When she sings "Backwoods Barbie" in the first act, I doubt there is anyone in the audience who wasn't moved.

The whole production sparkles the way a show that screams BIG BROADWAY SMASH should. And check out the set, it's the most complicated, dazzling, wow how did they do that production set I have ever seen.

The show starts previews at the Marriott Marquis theater on April 7th 2009. It was announced that Megan will rejoin Edin Espinosa to finish out the L.A. run of WICKED when 9 TO 5 THE MUSICAL closes this Sunday.

I enjoyed this show very much. Can you tell?

Guest Jocoluver

This was almost as funny as "The Producers". Dolly obviously doesn't plan on going to Broadway with a bomb! Songs are great, with just the right amount (not too much) country twang. That set is staggering in complexity; no wonder it broke down so often during previews (it worked perfectly the night I saw it). Choreography is excellent.

The cast is superb!!!! Dolly gives each one (including Roz, for heaven sake) a show-stopping number.

Great fun! It should be a smash on Broadway. We'll see.