Moving To Washington State

Gar1eth
This topic is 5294 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I may be moving to the Tacoma/Seattle area for a job in the next month or 2. I've been there to visit twice--but was there for other things and didn't really get to the gay area of downtown Seattle. What are the clubs like--any male revues?

Also what's it like in the area in general on a non club basis--I mean I'm middle-aged. I am not going to be spending a lot of time at the clubs--but an occasional male revue would be nice :+

So I guess aside from the Clubs what I'm fumbling around in asking is--what's it like living there?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Gman

>I may be moving to the Tacoma/Seattle area for a job in the

>next month or 2. I've been there to visit twice--but was

>there for other things and didn't really get to the gay area

>of downtown Seattle. What are the clubs like--any male

>revues?

>

>Also what's it like in the area in general on a non club

>basis--I mean I'm middle-aged. I am not going to be spending

>a lot of time at the clubs--but an occasional male revue would

>be nice :+

>

>So I guess aside from the Clubs what I'm fumbling around in

>asking is--what's it like living there?

>

>

>Thanks in advance for any information.

>

>Gman

>

Gman let me be the first to welcome you to Washington state, if you decide to make the move. You didn't mention what time of year you were here the couple times you were out this way but I think that you will find it weather wise a good break from the bone chilling winters and humid summers. The down side weather wise is that from about mid Oct to about Mayish it is often gray and a constant drizzle. But still better then the feet of snow the midwest gets in the winter. Summer can be absolutely great weather wise with very little humidity and wonderful views of Mt. Rainer, the Cascaded and the Olympics. The gay part of Seattle is not in downtown. It is actually a short walk up the hill in the Capitol Hill area which is my neighborhood. For the most part with the exception of a couple happenings is a pretty quiet and low crime area. This is the area where the gay bars are with the exception of Changes which is in the Wallingford area, just next door to the University Dist. There are some ok places to eat around the neighborhood. Some of my faves are Charlies, Jullias and Pho 900. As for coffee hands down Vivace. They only do espresso bevies but David (the owner) and his team of skilled baristas have got it down to a science and are always fine tuning their skills to pull even better shots of the lovely liquid crack. Now lets get down to the cost of living. This is my least favorite part of living in the gayborhood really. I live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, wd, dw apt and my rent is about to be going up to $1300 a month. Living in the city be it in downtown, Capitol Hill or the Belltown area is going to be costly. If you are going to be renting for a bit and want something a bit cheaper check west Seattle, Beacon Hill, or even a bit north of the city. I'm a city boy through and through and need my crack #### and bums. I bitch about them but all in all they help me stay grounded and help me appreciate what I have. We don't have any male reviews here in Seattle. You'll find that a hundred miles or so down the road in lovely Portland, Oregon or up the road in Vancouver, BC. And from my understanding both places they go to the skin. Although I haven't been to such places I think maybe Lucky or Daddy can fill you in on that part. If you live in Seattle proper and don't need to be driving all over the place you might want to think about using alternative transportation. Yes I am talking about *gasp* public transportation. Parking can and is a pain in the ass at times and taking the bus is sometimes the better option. Or since the weather isn't all that bad if you can deal with a bit of rain a scooter or even bicycle is another great option. With the scooter parking is often more readily available then with a car, you'll save on gas (I get about 80 or so miles on my scoot) and a guy on a scooter is way hot in my book. But if you decide to live outside of the city I'd keep the car maybe depending on how far you live from the center. One major tip and I can not stress it enough. DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO THE STREET KIDS!!!!!! Because of our mild seasons and sometimes liberal views this area is a street youth magnet. This is all I can think of for right now. If you want to know something in particular feel free to ask and I'd be happy to help out. If I don't know the answer I'm certain Daddy will have the answer. Good luck on your move if you decide to come out this way.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6707/lebec084a9ad147f620acd5ps8.jpg

I need a holiday!

Guest zipperzone

I have never LIVED in Seattle but have been there more times than I can count. The weather as described by Seaboy is IMO not as bad as it sounds. Living in Vancouver, B.C., we have very similar weather and although we get a fair amount of rain in the winter months, it is a very gentle rain, almost mist-like. But there are also many glorious days with sunshine, so it isn't nearly as bad as some people would have you believe. Another big plus is that the temperature is usually warm enough that you can get by with a windbreaker or bomber jacket - no heavy coats are needed. I bet you will enjoy west coast living.

You've been to the area and you didn't have to courtesy to call? That really hurts Zip :( A wind breaker for a jacket? What time of year were you out this way? There is no way on whats left of G-ds green earth I'd wear a wind breaker in the middle of Dec or Jan. I always laugh at this time of year when I run into tourists and they just gush like little school girls on how beautiful it is up this way. I always agree that it is nice this time of year but tell them to come back in Dec or Jan and see the true side of Seattle, the way it is most of the year. Speaking of that right now it is a bit breezy cloudy day three now and it'll prob rain. This summer is not looking so nice.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

I need a holiday!

>You've been to the area and you didn't have to courtesy to

>call? That really hurts Zip :( A wind breaker for a jacket?

>What time of year were you out this way? There is no way on

>whats left of G-ds green earth I'd wear a wind breaker in the

>middle of Dec or Jan. I always laugh at this time of year when

>I run into tourists and they just gush like little school

>girls on how beautiful it is up this way. I always agree that

>it is nice this time of year but tell them to come back in Dec

>or Jan and see the true side of Seattle, the way it is most of

>the year. Speaking of that right now it is a bit breezy cloudy

>day three now and it'll prob rain. This summer is not looking

>so nice.

>

>Hugs,

>Greg

>seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

>http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com

>http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

>http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6707/lebec084a9ad147f620acd5ps8.jpg

>I need a holiday!

Thanks for the info so far--unfortunately while I would like to live in Seattle--my work--assuming everything works out ok----will be in a suburb south of Tacoma. My fellow workers will all be commuting from the Seattle area, but I hate long commutes with a passion. I also don't want to live in a small city. The best compromise I could come up with was living in Tacoma. I know Tacoma may not have the greatest reputation, but I hear it's improving. Luckily I should have enough time off from work to go to Seattle frequently. I wonder if it is possible to make friends in Seattle when you live in Tacoma. I don't mean that little rivalry going on--I was talking more logistics.

As for weather--it will indeed be different. I am not sure whether I will like it or not. I grew up in the southern part of the south plains--fairly mild winters, but less than 25 inches of rain a year--it's classified as semi-arid. Then for school I lived on the Gulf Coast--I was surprised Houston didn't rust shut from all the rain and you could cut the humidity with a knife. Winter was always my least favorite season and even knowing that I lived in the Midwest for 5 to 6 years as an adult for grad school. I could not believe how cold, how much snow, and how late in the spring it was before it got warm.

So what I consider normal is hot summers with low humidity, mild winters--at least as compared to the upper Midwest, and very little rain--so the Pacific Northwest will definitely be a change. I am looking forward to experiencing it. Ask me in 18 months how I like it.

Any info specific to Tacoma--I want to tour the Glass Museum.

Thanks again--hoping to hear more.

Gman

>>You've been to the area and you didn't have to courtesy

>to

>>call? That really hurts Zip :( A wind breaker for a

>jacket?

>>What time of year were you out this way? There is no way

>on

>>whats left of G-ds green earth I'd wear a wind breaker in

>the

>>middle of Dec or Jan. I always laugh at this time of year

>when

>>I run into tourists and they just gush like little school

>>girls on how beautiful it is up this way. I always agree

>that

>>it is nice this time of year but tell them to come back in

>Dec

>>or Jan and see the true side of Seattle, the way it is

>most of

>>the year. Speaking of that right now it is a bit breezy

>cloudy

>>day three now and it'll prob rain. This summer is not

>looking

>>so nice.

>>

>>Hugs,

>>Greg

>>seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

>>http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com

>>http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

>>http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6707/lebec084a9ad147f620acd5ps8.jpg

>>I need a holiday!

>

>

>Thanks for the info so far--unfortunately while I would like

>to live in Seattle--my work--assuming everything works out

>ok----will be in a suburb south of Tacoma. My fellow workers

>will all be commuting from the Seattle area, but I hate long

>commutes with a passion. I also don't want to live in a small

>city. The best compromise I could come up with was living in

>Tacoma. I know Tacoma may not have the greatest reputation,

>but I hear it's improving. Luckily I should have enough time

>off from work to go to Seattle frequently. I wonder if it is

>possible to make friends in Seattle when you live in Tacoma.

>I don't mean that little rivalry going on--I was talking more

>logistics.

>

>As for weather--it will indeed be different. I am not sure

>whether I will like it or not. I grew up in the southern part

>of the south plains--fairly mild winters, but less than 25

>inches of rain a year--it's classified as semi-arid. Then for

>school I lived on the Gulf Coast--I was surprised Houston

>didn't rust shut from all the rain and you could cut the

>humidity with a knife. Winter was always my least favorite

>season and even knowing that I lived in the Midwest for 5 to 6

>years as an adult for grad school. I could not believe how

>cold, how much snow, and how late in the spring it was before

>it got warm.

>

>So what I consider normal is hot summers with low humidity,

>mild winters--at least as compared to the upper Midwest, and

>very little rain--so the Pacific Northwest will definitely be

>a change. I am looking forward to experiencing it. Ask me in

>18 months how I like it.

>

>Any info specific to Tacoma--I want to tour the Glass Museum.

>

>Thanks again--hoping to hear more.

>

>Gman

>

Oh Tacoma my old stomping grounds when I was a wee baby gay. Tacoma has grown a little bit but it is still a good 10 years behind Seattle unfort. This of course can be good and bad. Good in the sense that buying or renting is a lot less then Seattle for the most part but not so good in the sense that socially Tacoma is behind. It doesn't have many of the good places to eat like Seattle, coffee is only so so from what I've found and if you like to go to the bars again it is lacking. I've yet to go to the Glass Museum or the Washington State Museum which is right next door. I only go down to Tacoma when I have to or I am feeling nastoligic. As for areas to live in Tacoma I'd look at the Pearl district or the Stadium district. My pick would be the Stadium dist. because there is a great movie rental place with a huge forgien film section, it's close to the water (Pearl dist is too), walking distance to Wrights Park and an indie movie house. Oh and the view of Stadium high school is a nice one too. The movie 10 Things I hate about you was filmed at Stadium and in the neighborhood as was the movie back in the late 80's The hand that rocks the cradle. As for having friends in Seattle while living in Tacoma well it is possible but don't expect the gays from Seattle to go to Tacoma too much. A lot of them don't have cars and taking the bus although a great option many probably wont. Boobers and I still have friends in Tacoma from when we both lived there. If you'd like I can pass your info to them when you move out this way. They are a couple, been together for almost 10 years but are totally fun to hang with. John is the type where once you enter the house he's making a pot of coffee and shoving food down your throat and Dean is the butch gruff one. I call him the angry white man. But if a friend is in need that friend doesn't go without. Oh one good thing about Tacoma is the Tacoma Mall for guy watching. There are two military bases and during the weekends the military eye candy can be quite quite nice :p

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

I need a holiday!

Guest zipperzone

>A wind breaker for a jacket?

>What time of year were you out this way? There is no way on

>whats left of G-ds green earth I'd wear a wind breaker in the

>middle of Dec or Jan.

My windbreaker comment was to indicate what I wear in Vancouver during the winter. I assume that as Seattle has a similar climate, that would be the case there as well. I admit there is the odd day when a down lined one is needed but generally speaking I get by with a gortex one, or a leather, wool lined bomber.

The next time I'm down your way I'll be sure and give you a call. Seattle is a great place for a long weekend getaway and it's only 2 hours down the freeway (if you have a heavy foot)

I guess this won't help our friend who is going to be in Tacoma, but if I was moving to the area I think I'd like to live in or around Bellvue, Redmond, Woodinville - that area. Close enough to the big city but small enough to have a small town feeling.

Archived