Gods and Monsters

ariadne1880
This topic is 5757 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Watched this film by Bill Condon this weekend on DVD. Hadn't seen it in a while. It's one of my favorites and only gets better with age. Brendan Fraser has never been better -- or let's be obvious -- or ever looked more luscious. In that towel with not shirt? Hubba, hubba.

For those of you who haven't seen it -- can there be anyone? -- I highly recommend it especially considering the dreck that is out at the cineplexes right now.

All three leads should have won Oscars -- McKellan, Redgrave, and Fraser -- at least Condon won for Screenplay if I recall correctly. But McKellan lost to Roberto Beningi (egads) for Life is Beautiful, Redgrave lost to Judi Dench for Shakespeare in Love, and Fraser wasn't nominated and neither was the film for Best Picture.

Guest zipperzone

>Brendan Fraser has never been better -- or

>let's be obvious -- or ever looked more luscious. In that

>towel with not shirt? Hubba, hubba.

Indeed he did. Too bad the film wasn't being made today - we might have seen even more of Fraser. There was lots of opportunity for a bare butt shot or one of him climbing out of the pool naked.

After lunch today with a friend, we walked by a poster for the remake of "Journey to the Center of the Earth," which stars Fraser. We remarked that he's never gotten the good roles or breaks he deserves. We went on to recall "Gods and Monsters," agreeing how beautifully it depicted the growing love of a straight man for a gay man. Fraser's sensitive acting had a lot to do with making that statement.

And he was beautiful. And even hotter in "George of the Jungle." He's heavier now, but still has beautiful eyes.

And a gift for comedy as well.

"I'd say that's a bit of an extreme reaction, now wouldn't you?" -- N.F. Bates

Lankypeters

Guest Ca Robert

This movie is one of my favorites. Everytime it's on Logo, I watch it again and again. It was really great to see a movie with gay characters that were treated with respect.

You know, when I was a kid, the first movie I saw portraying gays was "Boys in the Band". Talk about a downer. In the restroom someone used a marker to write, "No one loves you when you are old and gay". That really had an effect on me. Then, of course, we had "The children's Hour" which ended with a suicide. I saw the movie with my older brother (17) who didn't realize the characters were lesbians until I, at 12, told him.

The first "gay themed" movie that wasn't depressing I saw was "The Ritz" which featured a young Treat Williams and F. Murray Abrams. But it was pretty sterotypical.

I hate to say this, but I am generally disappointed with Here! TV and Logo. But then I never thought I would live long enough to see gay marriage become a reality in California.

I think that Wyler's remake of "The Children's Hour" is a vastly underrated film. The performances are really topnotch (and to be superficial reminds one of how gorgeous James Garner was at that age) including a final one by Fay Bainter. The scene were she collapses after she realizes what Mary has done and refuses the comfort of the others was worthy of an Oscar (she was nominated and lost to Rita Moreno -- go figure).

By the way, the main characters are not "lesbians." Only the Shirley MacLaine character is a lesbian. Hepburn's character is straight in the film and in the play. That's part of the point. The false accusation but then the admission on the part of MacLaine's character that she has always had "feelings" for Hepburn's character.

I think it's a beautiful treatment of the subject.

Archived