Grilled Burgers

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5318 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

The Home-Cooked Foods thread with almost 100 replies, might need to be retired. Whatever, as I posted there yesterday, with Summer here it's time for grilling burgers. I have my own fave recipe(s), but I'd like to hear from others here about their culinary mastery of the American Hamburger.

Who wants to go first? :9 :9

I have no burger recipe to contribute but I would like to mention one thing I've found that makes a huge difference in the quality of the finished burger.

You should never, never, never press down on the meat while it's cooking.

Just put the meat on the grill and let it cook without touching it for two to three minutes (depending on how well done you like it), then flip it over and let it cook for another minute or two before removing it from the grill.

Otherwise, you get something that more closely resembles a hockey puck than a decent burger.

...Hoover

While I don’t do anything overly exotic when it comes to burgers, where I become anal (in the Freudian sense that is) about burgers concerns the quality of the meat. Under no circumstances do I buy pre-ground beef. I always select a piece of meat and then have it ground. I personally like top round… especially as packaged for “London broil’’... as it is usually a very lean piece of meat and it is easy to see the amount of fat surrounding it which can easily be trimmed prior to grinding… I like mine lean and mean… though others might prefer a more fatty consistency… but I tend to be overly fat conscious. Incidentally, I always find top round to be tough but tasty as a roast… when properly ground it retains its taste, but with a silky smooth texture.

Again being excessively fastidious in everything that I do, I weigh each burger with a digital scale so is exactly six ounces. I then use a form (the circular plastic top to a 2 pound cheese container works perfectly) to make them all identical in size… that way they will all cook evenly with predictable results. Since they can be frozen for future use, I usually set up a production line when the supermarket has top round on sale. However, fresh is definitely better.

I set my grill to the medium setting and cook 5 minutes for rare up to 9 minutes for well done… flipping them once… I prefer mine medium to medium rare at about 6-7 minutes. Your cooking time will obviously vary, but the reason for the medium setting prevents the outer surface from burning so as to avoid the dreaded hockey puck outcome… and as Hoover says never press down as it drains all the juices that add to texture and taste!

I serve on a bun with a half a bottle of ketchup (a large quantity of the red stuff is de rigueur in my book) and I am in burger pig heaven… add a slice of ripe and juicy tomato (home grown only when in season) and I am beyond being in pig heaven… :9 :9 :9 :9

A friend of mine from India recently made burgers for me that were phenomenal. My partner and I have duplicated his recipe using easily obtained items from the grocery store instead of his specialized Indian spices.

1 lb. ground CHICKEN

1 egg

some bread crumbs as needed

liberal amount of Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy seasoning

Mix together, form into burgers and set in refrigerator for an hour before grilling. I've found that I prefer these burgers on the thin side.

They are absolutely DELICIOUS and healthier than a beef burger. We have been serving these all summer and have been getting rave reviews from everyone.

That's quite a routine! I must admit I could taste that burger you were cooking as you described it .... you had me until the ketchup. Can't use the stuff. I prefer a good steak sauce -- A1 or something like that. Not Heinz -- for obvious reasons!

And, I'll third the motion -- never, ever flatten the burger. You're just killing the damn thing!

I use 85% lean chuck chopped for a really juicy burger.When I make the burger I make the outside borders thicker than the middle so as the meat cooks and shrinks the burger fits the bun perfectly.A Rachel ray trick.I also make burgers from ground lamb and occasionaly buy the beef pork veal ground mix for something different.I melt cheddar or provolone cheese on them,a large pickle slice,a tomato slice(soon from my garden)and a mix of mayo and ketchup.

Guest Wetnwildbear

These are my favorite Summer Grill Burgers

2Lbs of 93% Lean Ground Beef

1 Egg

1 Egg White

1/2 Cup of Rolled Oats (Oat Meal - Not Instant!)

1 - Small Sweet Onion - Grated = Liquified

1-2 Tbsps Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 Tsp. Italian Seasoning Mix (I Like CENTO Brand)

1 tsp chopped Parsley

1 Tsp - Red Rooster - Asian Chilli Sauce

To Taste

Seasoned Salt

Black Pepper

Garlic Powder

Mix - but dont overdue so the its icky mush!

Makes 6 approx 6oz Burgers about 11/4in thick and bun sized

Refrigerate for at least an hour before cooking

Bring Covered Grill to Hi Heat

Place Burgers on Grill for 2 minutes (allow to score)

Turn 1/4 turn (now you get X marks) let cook on high 2 minutes

Drop the heat to Mediun - Flip burgers - cook 3 minutes and Eat!

ENJOY on A Tater Roll - With a Thick Slice of Sweet Vidalia Onion a

Slice of BeefSteak Tomatoe Mmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmm Thats Good Eatin!

I like to do the following:

1 lb hamburger (regular or lean, but not extra lean)

1 pkg dried french onion soup mix

1 small onion (diced)

1 tbsp worchestershire sauce

1 tbsp oil (vegetable, olive)

1 tsp parsely

1/4 cup bread crumbs

1 egg

salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, and put in the freezer for at least 30 minutes (give the onion soup mix time to reconstitute a bit).

Form into patties, grill, and serve topped with cheese, crispy bacon, and your favourite condiments on a slightly toasted oversize onion bun.

Yummy!

Guest ncm2169

Okay, here's my "Surprise Burger." :9

1. Start with fresh ground 85% lean ground beef. (I realize some have "fat issues" and I encourage you to find substitutes for flavor and moisture if you use leaner meat).

2. Shape into 1/2 lb. burgers, handle meat only as necessary to form into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick burgers (you don't need to "pack" it over and over, for example).

3. Season with garlic powder and fresh ground pepper, OR freshly ground garlic pepper.

4. Have a "bakery fresh" bun for each burger (baked fresh the day you serve).

5. As warned in previous recipes, DO NOT press down on the burgers with a spatula while cooking - doing so will lose moisture and flavor.

6. Grill over direct heat for 5 minutes per side, turning twice, equals 20 minutes total cooking time. To test doneness, you can use an instant reading thermometer and cook to 140 degrees and let warm up to 150 degrees on a heated platter. (The key is the temperature, not the cooking time).

7. When the burgers reach your desired degree of doneness (starting at 140 degrees for medium-rare, and consecutively higher), cover with foil and let rest so juices retract into burger.

8. SURPRISE. Serve the burgers with bearnaise sauce. Either make the sauce yourself (there are tons of online recipes), or Knorr packaged is an acceptable substitute.

9. If the bearnaise doesn't work for you, a slice of a garden fresh tomato and fresh onion with mayo and catsup takes second place.

(Just don't dismiss the bearnaise. I've "converted" nearly a hundred new devotees).

1/2 Cup of Rolled Oats

The oats are the key to success with this one... believe me!

Place Burgers on Grill for 2 minutes (allow to score)Turn 1/4 turn (now you get X marks)

Nice touch... I usually do this only when I want to impress company!

Again, the "wet and wild one" is on top of his game!

Guest Wetnwildbear

Tis True Whipped - the Rolled Oats allows you to use very lean meat.

They do not dry or grit the meat the way bread/cracker crumbs do.

Also - unlike the above - the oats do not add any fat to the mix.

They hold the juices and flavors from the meat, onion, eggs,

spices while being totally absorbed into the mixture so as not to

affect the texture.

Glad you enjoyed!

Archived