Visitors flock to puzzling Utah monolith after decoding location

samhexum
This topic is 1280 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If you drop a mysterious metal monolith in the middle of the desert, they will come.

Daring travelers have been navigating a remote section of Utah to get a firsthand look at a 10 foot tall monolith that was planted in the soil amid a rock formation.

The structure – which appears to be an art project in homage to a

– was first discovered last week by wildlife officials who were counting sheep from a helicopter.

Workers shared photos of their bizarre discovery, but did not divulge its coordinates, hoping to discourage people from seeking out the structure and getting lost in the remote area.

Their caution couldn’t deter determined sleuths who combed through satellite maps to crack the case, and locate the structure 16 miles southwest of Moab.

David Surber, 33, a former US army infantry, officer drove for six hours through the night to find it after reading about its supposed coordinates on Reddit.

He posted a video with the caption: “Awesome journey out to the monolith today. Regardless of who built it or where it came from. It was a positive escape from today’s world. Some for many people to rally behind and enjoy together.”

Surber said after he made the discovery, he was alone in the dark for only about 10 minutes before other intrepid adventurers arrived, tipped off by the intel of Reddit user Tim Slane, who tracked the helicopters radar and then used Google Earth to find the exact location.

“I knew that once the location became public knowledge that people would visit the area,” Slane told the BBC. “I have received some angry messages for my revealing of the location. If I had not found it, someone else would likely have found it soon enough.”

It’s still unknown who made the monolith and planted it, and why – but Google Earth imagery show it appeared sometime between August 2015 and October 2016.

Utah-Monolith-1.jpg

If you drop a mysterious metal monolith in the middle of the desert, they will come.

Daring travelers have been navigating a remote section of Utah to get a firsthand look at a 10 foot tall monolith that was planted in the soil amid a rock formation.

– was first discovered last week by wildlife officials who were counting sheep from a helicopter.

Workers shared photos of their bizarre discovery, but did not divulge its coordinates, hoping to discourage people from seeking out the structure and getting lost in the remote area.

Their caution couldn’t deter determined sleuths who combed through satellite maps to crack the case, and locate the structure 16 miles southwest of Moab.

David Surber, 33, a former US army infantry, officer drove for six hours through the night to find it after reading about its supposed coordinates on Reddit.

He posted a video with the caption: “Awesome journey out to the monolith today. Regardless of who built it or where it came from. It was a positive escape from today’s world. Some for many people to rally behind and enjoy together.”

Surber said after he made the discovery, he was alone in the dark for only about 10 minutes before other intrepid adventurers arrived, tipped off by the intel of Reddit user Tim Slane, who tracked the helicopters radar and then used Google Earth to find the exact location.

“I knew that once the location became public knowledge that people would visit the area,” Slane told the BBC. “I have received some angry messages for my revealing of the location. If I had not found it, someone else would likely have found it soon enough.”

It’s still unknown who made the monolith and planted it, and why – but Google Earth imagery show it appeared sometime between August 2015 and October 2016.

Utah-Monolith-1.jpg

A 2020 space oddity just got a little more odd.

A roughly 12-foot tall, shiny monolith that mysteriously appeared in a Utah desert a couple weeks ago has just as inexplicably disappeared.

“The BLM did not remove the structure, which is considered private property,” the Bureau of Land Management said in a statement. “The structure has received international and national attention and we received reports that a person or group removed it on the evening of 27 Nov.”

The BLM also said it would not investigate the missing monolith because it is private property, which puts it within the jurisdiction of local law enforcement.

Some Twitter users wondered if the monolith fell from space, while others celebrated what they thought was a great, but very human prank.

The Bureau of Land Management’s initials, BLM, caused some social media users to wonder how the Black Lives Matter movement was somehow tied to the whole thing. (It’s a coincidence.)

Actor Antonio Sabato Jr. posted a photo of the shiny object with a caption reading “Monolith?” and a shrugging emoticon. His Twitter feed also promotes the conspiracy theory that the 2020 election was rigged. He probably also believes he has acting talent.

To quote my father, "This is why we can't have nice things."