A call to action against Representative Kern

Ethan
This topic is 5837 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Friday, March 14, 2008

http://web.mac.com/ethanslife/rentEthan.com/X-Files_Blog/Entries/2008/3/14_A_Call_To_Action_Against_Oklahoma_Representative_Sally_Kern.html Subject: Hate Talk

This is a blurb from an online posting regarding comments from Oklahoma State Representative, Sally Kern...

A state rep says GLBT Americans are more dangerous than terrorists. "I honestly think it's the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam." That's from an Oklahoma lawmaker's speech about gay people. You heard right. A secret recording has just emerged of State Rep. Sally Kern speaking to a Republican group in January, where she equates both sexual orientation and religion with terrorism. She thought no one was listening. Now hundreds of thousands are. And despite her refusal to apologize, we won't let her get away with this. This recording, first released in a video by the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, is all the more troubling given the recent spate of hate violence against gay and transgender youth. See the video here: http://www.hrcactioncenter.org/campaign/ok_rep_sally_kern_cen/xxdbb3w4a7bewkjj? Last month in California, a 15-year-old boy, Lawrence King, who suffered taunting and bullying by his classmates because of his sexual orientation, was killed by one of those classmates - a 14-year-old boy. The week after Lawrence King's death saw the murder of another teen, this time a 17-year-old transgender youth in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Words matter. Especially words from elected officials. Rep. Kern's private feelings towards homosexuality and Islam are one thing. But public statements that encourage disrespect or violence towards those with whom she disagrees are completely unacceptable. Here are a few more completely unfounded claims from her speech: • "The homosexual agenda is destroying this nation." • "No society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted for more than, you know, a few decades." • "What's happening now is they're going after, in schools, two-year-olds." Kern must be held responsible. Please send this message to your friends and ask them to join you in taking action. Thank you for speaking out at this critical time. And special thanks to the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund for exposing this anti-gay bigot. To add your name to the Victory Fund's open letter to Rep. Sally Kern, click here: http://www.victoryfund.org/listening.

ETHAN’S RESPONSE:

Dear Sally,

My apologies for not addressing you as I would most elected officials with your official title, however you simply don’t deserve that level of respect. You stated recently to a crowd of your Republican comrads that the biggest problem facing our nation today was homosexuality. You stated, “ I honestly think it's the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam.” You further went on to compare us to “cancer” amongst a multitude of other insulting, ignorant, bigoted, and simply degrading remarks about homosexuals. Well Madame, the truly biggest problem facing our nation today is the ignorant constituents that continue to elect bigoted, hate-filled, and similarly ignorant officials, like yourself, into office. I was in the World Trade Center on September 11th, 2001 and I promise you ma’am, never has a homosexual injected that much fear, destruction, or devastation in a single instance.

Further, what scares me is that it is you far right evangelicals whom continue to become elected to office that give Christianity a bad name to begin with. It's your hypocrisy that really gets me because its individuals as yourself Madame that like to acknowledge certain parts of the Bible, while ignoring others. You extremist evangelical lawmakers use the Bible as a tool of convenience. That offends me as a real Christian. What’s more is that there is no official religion in this country as we have the right to believe our own beliefs. Surely, you learned that in law school if not in the fifth grade. Secondly, I am CERTAIN its not my Political Science degree that taught me we had SEPARATION of Church and State. Who gave Sally Kern the Constitutional right to inject her religious beliefs into our legal system. My ten year old niece whom attends private Christian school knows that there is separation of Church and State. Representative Kern, your words promote hatred and violence and the United States Legal system should order you to make more productive use of your time. Under court order you should be made to spend time educating yourself rather than poisoning others. Maybe you should have to visit the home of Judy Shepherd at Christmas to FEEL the void that exists in that home because of the hate filled rhetoric you spread which leads to violence and death. Maybe you should have to go to the home and apologize to the mother of Laurence King or any other parent who has lost their GLBT child to violence which was fueled by the very type of ignorant hatred you spread. It sickens me that my tax dollars pay your salary because not only are you a waste of government money, you are one of the worst wastes of 60 trillion cells that make up a human body. EDUCATE YOURSELF MADAME, it is very liberating.

Ethan King

San Francisco, CA

Guest zipperzone

Ethan: Your letter was very well worded and totally on point. Apart from the hidious hag that calls herself a lawmaker, two things give me distress.

Firstly, for all the efforts you have put into composing this letter, I would be willing to bet that she will never read it and in fact may not even hear of it's existance. She is aware that many letters have been sent to her in outrage, but as to the actual content, she is blissfully unaware.

And secondly, I read today that there was a large gathering of Christian supporters waiting for her in the lobby of her office building reinforcing her beliefs that we are in fact the lowest species of life on this planet.

Her own party has refused to call on her to make an apology so I guess you can gauge from that the level of contrition we can expect here.

Guest zipperzone

>It is a good thing, that we never have hate talk or posting

>on this board!

One can only assume that you're off you meds again.

Hate posting is deplorable, isn't it. When an elected official defames gays what do you do? Send her a Valentine and enclose a check for her campaign?

Archived