Ditching Cable - How to?

This topic is 1396 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With HBOGO gone and having to wait for Roku to add HBO Max I am wondering about cutting cable.

I Googled "how to cut cable" and found a random how to guide. It suggested replacing cable with an HD antenna for local channels, a streaming service like Sling TV, and the various apps such as HBO Max.

I watch a variety of channels on cable and worry that if I cut cable I may at some point in the future want to watch a show and it's channel is not on my services. On the other hand my cable bill is high and it would be nice to lower it. (It includes cable, some premium channels, internet, and phone.)

Having said all that have I overlooked anything? Has anyone cut cable? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks.

This is another good start...

https://www.techhive.com/article/3346020/cord-cutter-beginners-guide.html

Bottom line, you'll still need high-speed internet, which will likely be a higher price when priced out ala carte without the usual bundle.

You also still have a home phone. Do you need that or can you rely on a mobile device for calls and save that $20+?

With most streaming cable services (Sling, Hulu Live, YouTubeTV, etc), you will have access to a cloud-based DVR and a fair number of live channels and on-demand programming. Here's a good comparison site for what's what.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tv-streaming-service-for-cord-cutters-sling-tv-hulu-youtube-tv-and-more/

Personally, I still have traditional cable at my Dallas place, but in Key West, I use YouTubeTV and an Apple TV 4K to do all of my streaming. It gives me the channels I like, unlimited cloud DVR recording and the stream quality is good. Based on what you need from your channel lineup, look at the various options, as they all have their strengths and weaknesses (more sports programming vs more 24 hr news for example).