New Orleans - current Tourist Destination?

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5864 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

Hey there --

It's been too long since I've visited the Big EZ. x(

What's the skinny on the current state of affairs, um ... er ... so to speak. }(

To be serious, If a buddy and I just wanted to spend a long weekend hanging in the French Quarter doing typically "touristy" things, plus some good dining (Brennan's, Arnaud's, Commander's Palace, etc.), has "the recovery" made such an adventure pretty much the same as it always was?

The quarter is fine. There have been some reports of bad characters hanging around gay bars. Bad in the rip-off sense. There was a thread on here about someone who left a bar with someone he met there and the guy took him for a ride. Also, one of my friends told me about a drag queen who stole his wallet. He did admit that he was really drunk and deduced that it was stolen by her. No physical violence as far as the reports go. Have a good time!

the Cajun

Guest verymarried

I just returmned from New Orleans - a business trip which also allowed free evenings. You will find New Orleans less crowded and a few of the places you liked before are not there. There are some bargains to be had. Lodging and items you can barter for like at the market, can often be had for favorable rates. Except on special occasions, it is easy to get reservations or often just to walk in the best dining spots. The gay bars are noticeably less crowded. Oz and Pub had just a scattering of people dancing on a weekend evening and the top floor of Lafittes seemed to be closed all the time. Two exceptions for action were the Corner Pocket and Ramrod (I think that is the name of the bar 3-4 blocks down the street from Corner Pocket). The Pocket was packed with young dancers, many of which were only too happy to share their wares with patrons's hands. Management is not particularly friendly and stops things when they go a bit far. Some of the guys are available for after hours and some are very cute. The Ramrod has a couple of back rooms and is active and interesting. The guys are not as cute but they are free. If you are into museums, my favorite is a small place in the warehouse district called the Ogden. It is a museum of Southern art and the works are nicely chosen and presented. Have a nice trip and as the previous writer says, watch your billfold, or leave it in a safe.

Archived