Thankful for the important stuff

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 5536 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Many times it seems like we forget the really important things that we should be thankful for. I got a good reminder this holiday weekend. I wanted to share my story with everyone to hopefully inspire some true thanksgiving. My sister (the only real family I have) lives in Indianapolis with her family (husband, 16 yr old son, and 2 daughters, aged 4 and 1 1/2).

They took a road trip to Florida for thanksgiving this year. They loaded the family and the cat and dog into their Yukon Denali, and hitched up their less than one year old trailer. Off they went for holiday at the beach. Everything went well..Great time was had.. Saturday morning, they started the trip home. Not far along the way, (southern Alabama to be precise), they were driving down a hill, and encountered a strong wind. It caused the trailer and their Yukon to jackknife and flip. They slid upside down, off the road and down the embankment.

They came to a stop, upside down, all hanging by the seatbelts in their seats. Luckily, no one was seriously hurt, just superficial cuts, bruises, and scrapes. People driving by stopped and offered assistance, helping to pull them out of the debris and away from the wreckage in case the propane tanks were to expload. (luckily they didn't). One good samaritan volunteered to take their animals with her until my sister was able to retrieve them (they were all being taken to the hospital to be checked out). Other samaritans brought them food and blankets...

The doctor at the hospital let them use his own pickup to go to where the trailer had been towed so they could salvage what belongings they could get. The manager at the hotel they got for the night took my sister to the nearest pharmacy to get her prescriptions filled and to get some needed things for the children.

Their yukon and their trailer are both totalled. The christmas presents they had bought on their trip are mostly gone. But the important thing is that no one was hurt. Even the animals made it thru without any injuries.

Sometimes it takes a disaster such as this to remind us of the truly important things that we should be thankful for. I am thankful for my family.. I am thankful for the true good samaritans out there..

Archived