Rats and rat trap advice

AceHardware
This topic is 1633 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A few months ago I saw a rat in my apartment as it crept along my walls, going room to room methodically, like a trained scout. I did nothing but monitor its progress: I know from long-ago experience I can't catch and kill the things, so there was just no point.

But after that, I tried to make my apartment rat-unfriendly by putting all the food in my kitchen cabinets in sealed containers, buying a kitchen trash can with a lockable top, and putting out 6 rat traps baited with a mixture of almond butter + sugar. Since then, no rat spotted, no traps sprung (or bait eaten/stolen), and no rat droppings.

I kinda feel like it's too good to be true--did it really scout me and consider me not a good home/food source? (I rent the 3rd floor of a house.) Or are rats still here, ignoring my traps and...well, not eating my food, but maybe nesting somewhere? I thought once they moved in, they never moved out, so I'd appreciate advice/perspective on the situation from folks with experience. Thanks.

There is a very lively "Rat Forum" for my hometown in Facebook. It's a bit scary sometime, but has tons of advice about getting rid of rats, which is a problem in our city. I put up an owl house this summer and am hoping an owl takes advantage of it. You might look for some similar forum local to you.

Maybe visit the local shelter and adopt a killer cat (landlord permission).

Chemical, odor and audio repellents don’t work.

Here’s a website with some good advice:

http://www.attic-rat.com/repellent.html

Very helpful site--thanks! If they actually just stayed in the attic, which maybe they're doing, I'd be fine. This is an old house with too many points of entry for them to ever get my landlord to block them all. I hoped his cat would be eating them, but it's apparently too old and lazy, and I'm allergic to cats, so I wouldn't get one myself. But it appears I've baited my traps correctly (and I have 3 in the kitchen, so got the location right, if they do come looking for a snack.)

Being a landlord, I've had the occasional mouse issue. My ultra-competent super makes the point that the only real solution is to find how they're getting in and block it. Otherwise you're just plucking off a never-ending series of mice. Once you've blocked the entrance, you may have to deal with any mice you've trapped inside, but that's step two. I'm guessing rats are the same.

You mention you rent. Have you brought the problem to the landlord?

Kevin Slater

You mention you rent. Have you brought the problem to the landlord?

Yes, I told my landlords, who are the best landlords possible in most ways, including maintenance issues, but they view the problem as "just buy traps," and that's all. But they have a lot more pressing issues with a leaky roof and leaky basement, so I understand them making it a low priority.

I just ordered 2 of these from amazon....

Victor Mini M752SN Ultrasonic Rodent Repeller

I work above a food store that throws old food and bread into the dumpsters without bagging or closing dumpster and Monday I found mice crap in office which is above the dumpsters. I have complained to the landlord and yesterday I took photos and I'm considering posting them on social media sites.