Forced to upgrade TracFone burner

Spursy
This topic is 1602 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I received a few text messages from TracFone indicating that they are converting to a new network and my current TracFone burner won't be compatible with the network (and offering deals on a new, compatible phone). Anyone know what is going on with this? I'm not opposed to shelling out some cash for a new burner phone, but I am opposed to doing so if I can't keep it anonymous. Could I port my current TracFone number to the new phone without opening a TracFone account? Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Anyone know what is going on with this?

It's legit.

https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2019/05/tracfone-closing-3g-cdma-network-phones.html

https://extras.tracfone.com/en/17154-A01

Could I port my current TracFone number to the new phone without opening a TracFone account?

Yes. It's best to call in and have them confirm your balances, them have them initiate the transfer, so if anything goes wrong they can address it. They just need your SIM numbers.

My first burner was a TracFone I purchased in 2015. Never really liked it, so when I saw a Samsung TracFone on sale at a discount store a couple of years later, I bought. Paid cash for first and second phone. Was able to go online and transfer the phone number from the old phone to the new phone. Didn’t speak with anyone. Never have had an account. Just buy the yearly card with cash.

When I go online to check balance, add time/minutes, or when I transferred the number, the four digit code/SIM number I use(d) was the last four digits of the serial number of the new phone.

just now took a quick look at the link @oldNbusted provided, my old one was 3G, luckily, new one is 4G.

Edited by bashful

Take me at my word - I am not being facetious when asking this: Why don't you ask Tracfone these questions?

I avoid talking to customer service reps if at all possible. And I figured someone here would be able to save me that trouble.

This is weird, because I have an older Samsung (non-smart) Tracfone cell phone, and haven't been told I need to upgrade. But at least now I know whose network they're using, particularly since it occasionally craps out on me and shows "no service."

Tracfone uses all the carriers, each phone model is tied to a particular carrier. In your case, the phone is probably not tied to the Verizon 3G CDMA service. Mine is tied to T-Mobile.

• 5 weeks later...