Need advice please!

augustus
This topic is 1641 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have an elderly relative who lives about 5 miles away from me and will not accept a home aide (she is 92). I want to put those video cameras in her place so I can be able to monitor her on my computer to see that she is alright. I know next to nothing about tech issues. She has no computer or wifi in her place. Is it possible to set this up and get a signal to my home computer from her place and see her real time? Does anyone know about this? Thanks.

May I suggest that you consider a professional medical home alert system. She might not want an aide intruding on her privacy, but might consent to a system that allows her to push a button for help. They also have systems that monitor the person and raise an alarm if signals deviate from normal. You can't monitor her 24/7/365, but a medical alert provider can. And they are trained to know all the signs of distress -- the big ones and the subtle ones -- and to immediately dispatch trained medical help.

Your relative may also be at a stage where her independence is more important than her security or longevity. I hope that doesn't sound cold, it's intended as quite the opposite. I had a relative who understood he was taking a risk, but was honestly ok with it because he felt that everyone was going to go sometime, he'd lived a good long life, and when it was his time, well, he just wasn't worried.

Whatever you decide, I wish you both luck and strength. Taking care of aging relatives is a labor of love, but it is a labor. You're a good person for caring, and she's lucky to have someone who does.

I have an elderly relative who lives about 5 miles away from me and will not accept a home aide (she is 92). I want to put those video cameras in her place so I can be able to monitor her on my computer to see that she is alright. I know next to nothing about tech issues. She has no computer or wifi in her place. Is it possible to set this up and get a signal to my home computer from her place and see her real time? Does anyone know about this? Thanks.

first of all you MUST get her to consent you putting cameras in her home.

nanny cam with iPhone app

Any other camera(s) with motion detention would work, this is an example.

Good luck!

@Scott Virginian you are right on the money about her "independence is more important than her security or longevity" ! That's her. I tried the necklace with the button and she just takes it off and puts it somewhere. She's in rehab after breaking her hip for the 2nd time in 5 years and just wants to go home. She is causing a ruckus at the nursing facility (and it's a nice place). You are also right about how strenuous this is. Many people have no clue. And most of the family doesn't want to get involved (I have to work or I have kids to worry about or whatever). This is the most difficult situation I have ever faced. Thanks for you advice.

She needs wifi for this. It's the easiest way. I'd suggest https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_cam?hl=en-US. I've used them for years, they're rock solid and the quality of image/sound is fantastic.

Arlo, which I've also used, offers a cam over mobile data. It's not a robust as Nest, but it might serve your needs well.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-go/default.aspx