Now streaming on Criterion: Shirley Clarke's Portrait of Jason

oldNbusted
This topic is 1651 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

MV5BMTYxMzI1NTc0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTYwMzYwNzE@._V1_.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_Jason

A gay African-American hustler and aspiring
performer, Jason is the sole on-screen presence in the film. He narrates his troubled life story to the camera, behind which Clarke and her partner at the time, actor
, provoke and berate Jason with increasing hostility as the film progresses. The film employs
and
techniques to reach the tragedy underlying Jason's theatrical, exaggerated persona.

I found it fascinating, as a impression of one person, at one point in time in his life, in the middle of last century.

• 4 weeks later...
MV5BMTYxMzI1NTc0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTYwMzYwNzE@._V1_.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_of_Jason

A gay African-American hustler and aspiring
performer, Jason is the sole on-screen presence in the film. He narrates his troubled life story to the camera, behind which Clarke and her partner at the time, actor
, provoke and berate Jason with increasing hostility as the film progresses. The film employs
and
techniques to reach the tragedy underlying Jason's theatrical, exaggerated persona.

I found it fascinating, as a impression of one person, at one point in time in his life, in the middle of last century.

This is one of my favorite movies. It’s timeless and very few people know about it. Hearing him talk about how everyone in New York has a “gimmick” is hysterical.

My favorite quote:

I think as a house boy I really suffered. But this hasn’t all been a waste. They think you’re just a dumb, stupid little colored boy. You’re trying to get a few dollars and they’re gonna use you as a joke. It gets to be a joke sometimes as to who’s using who.