The Animation On Polar Express Disturbs Me

Gar1eth
This topic is 1688 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's a known phenomenon: Uncanny Valley

In aesthetics, the uncanny valley is a hypothesized relationship between the degree of an object's resemblance to a human being and the emotional response to such an object. The concept of the uncanny valley suggests that humanoid objects which imperfectly resemble actual human beings provoke uncanny or strangely familiar feelings of eeriness and revulsion in observers. "Valley" denotes a dip in the human observer's affinity for the replica, a relation that otherwise increases with the replica's human likeness.

It's a known phenomenon: Uncanny Valley

In aesthetics, the uncanny valley is a hypothesized relationship between the degree of an object's resemblance to a human being and the emotional response to such an object. The concept of the uncanny valley suggests that humanoid objects which imperfectly resemble actual human beings provoke uncanny or strangely familiar feelings of eeriness and revulsion in observers. "Valley" denotes a dip in the human observer's affinity for the replica, a relation that otherwise increases with the replica's human likeness.

150-1502458_emoji-wow-smiley.png

Thank-you very much for that explanation. I probably knew this intuitively, but I didn't know it had a formal name.

Anyone else with eerie feelings watching Polar Express?

Gman

That brings to mind how realistic erotic gay art stimulated me sexually as a teen. I would see drawings of gay sexual acts or sometimes, just realistic drawings of nude, well-built (sometimes hard!) men and it was enough to get me hard and make me want to jack off!

It's not the same though, because I never felt uncomfortable being stimulated by those drawings!

TruHart1 :cool: