Romeo and Juliet, The Old Globe Theater, San Diego

E.T.Bass
This topic is 1704 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I learned The Old Globe production of Romeo and Juliet was not exactly "by the book" I was worried I might not like it. I'd been excited to see Aaron Moten as Romeo, and a little miffed hearing he might be doing some dumbed down version of the Bard.

However, I loved it. The play wasn't dumbed down at all. Moten was fantastic. Juliet, the nurse and Mercutio were also amazingly good. The production took a few detours from the classic R&J but they worked. Got our money's worth, 3 hours.

Moten was tender, fierce, sweet, funny and cute as Romeo. He certainly did "kiss by the book." The crowd loved him. It would be unsophisticated and unfair to overly objectify his body so I won't mention whether I was impressed by his ample package during the love scene. ;) The director was not shy about letting the audience see Moten's beautiful body. Holy sh!t, I certainly understood the depth of Juliet's grief when her hunk was banished.

Tonight's show was sold out and gave a standing O.

I need to get back to San Diego for more theater!

eE3DC7-1_400x400.jpg

romeo-and-juliet-18-467482fa.jpeg?ver=1566431701&aspectratio=1.5

Edited by E.T.Bass