ANYONE ELSE SEEN STARDUST?

jackhammer91406
This topic is 6076 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw this movie yesterday and was charmed by everything in it. Charlie Cox makes a quality debut as a young leading man and he is very good looking. Clare Danes is luminescent as the fallen star.

Both Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert DeNiro make strong supporting role appearances. Rupert Everrt and Peter O'Toole also appear.

I was drawn in by the originality of the screenplay, the performances, and the cinematography.

I highly recommend this movie. Catch it soon though as I think despite great reviews, it is not doing well as the box office against all of the mega sequels and may not be around for long.

I second your recommendation, JH!

This movie was such a surprise for me. I was sure it was going to be a disaster since it seemed to come so suddenly on the scene and it had no trailer on the Apple trailers site.

This was the first time in quite a while that I walked out of a movie theater with a big smile on my face. :)

Oh, and Charlie Cox (Tristan) was SO cute :)

...Hoover

p.s. The Bourne Ultimatum wasn't bad either. But I have to say my favorite movie of the year so far has been La Vie en Rose.

Stardust is on the list of movies to go see. Glad to hear you liked it.

I liked The Bourne Ultimatum, too. I'm sure the franchise will live longer with the box office success of the film.

I saw Death At A Funeral this afternoon and enjoyed it very much. Totally wacky and insane.

ED

It's a fun, gay-positive movie. Charlie Cox is easy on the eyes, but for the life of me, I can't find a picture of him sans shirt. He must never go to the beach--or the paparazzi aren't doing their jobs.

Thanks for the recommendation.... I was doubtful about this one, but now I'll try to see it.

Over the weekend, a friend into swords & sandals epics dragged me to see The Last Legion, which opened without critic screenings so no opening day newspaper reviews... always a warning sign.

Anyway, this is a less than accomplished attempt to make a historic epic about the final days of the Roman Empire. Colin Firth struck me as largely walking through his lead role. But I made a mouth-watering discovery - Rupert Friend. He plays a Roman soldier, Demetrios, and he is GORGEOUS!!!!! You could get lost in those eyes, and the square-jawed magnificence of his face and gentle voice. Just a supporting role, but a fair amount of screen time. (He already has two fanclub websites with lots of pics....) And for those into more rough-hewn beauty, there's a nice supporting star turn by Kevin McKidd, who played the angry centurion Lucius Varenus in the HBO Rome series. Here he plays a Goth warrier and is quite ferocious and looking to be in great physical shape.

• 1 month later...

I thought Mathew Vaughn ( Layer Cake ) did a terrific in putting this film together. Considering how much he was touted to take over Bryan Singer for X-Men 3 " The Last Stand " almost two years ago nowand all the controversary surrounding his abrupt depature from this film and ultimately being replaced by Brett Ratner ( Rush Hour ). It was the best scenario for everbody involved, Mr Ratner got to make the X-Men picture that he wanted and in turn allowed Mathew to focus on " Stardust".

As to the film itself, from the writing to the casting, to the performances, there was sheer level of brilliance. Just in terms of the acting, I definitely felt that Mark Strong who played the character of " Septimus " really stood out amongst the rest, he gave a top notch performance. Now casting Ricky Gervais in " Stardust " was a rather interesting choice and definitely provided the brief but short comical aspect of the film. It was wonderful to see David Kelly ( Waking Ned Devine )who provided an extremely underappreciated performance as the guard. Overall there was not a single bad performance.

I'm very much looking forward to the DVD release if not for anything more than to be reminded of good quality film making.

Ro

>Stardust is on the list of movies to go see. Glad to hear

>you liked it.

>

>I liked The Bourne Ultimatum, too. I'm sure the franchise

>will live longer with the box office success of the film.

>

>I saw Death At A Funeral this afternoon and enjoyed it very

>much. Totally wacky and insane.

If " Bourne Ultimatum " is to be the last of the trilogy, then what great way to go out with a bang rather than a whimper. This is probably the career highlight for Matt Damon thus far. Just to watch two class acts such Joan Allen and David Straightharn play off eachother was a sheer delight. Certainly one of the best action films of the year.

As for " Death At A Funeral ", I just absolutely adore this film to a point of no end. It's one class act comedy that is very much unsurpassed. Compared to the rest of the comedies that have come out thus far, " Death At A Funeral " is in a caliber of it's own. For me it's a sort of throwback to those wonderful days of the " Carry On " series from the 1960's. The cast were absolutely superb and it's always a great pleasure to watch Mr Peter Vaughan on film. He's had a marvelous career and I hope he carries on entertaining for another twenty years. These days in British film and television there is a lot of preaching going on about the hazards of when not to drink. Mr Vaughan came from a time passage when the heavy drinkers were very much carefree. He was a regular at such drinking establishments as the " Coachouse " and the " Zanzibar ". These establishments were grand and very famous for the likes Richard Whitmore, Richard Baker and Peter Lewis's of the world. For some of us who very much caught the tail end of things, in certain way's it's unfortunate that those days are long gone now. Some wonderful great memories that became part of one's life and am very grateful for them.

I had the chance to see " Michael Clayton " this past Friday evening and what a fantastic from beginning to end. This is definitely George Clooney's best ever performance to date.

Another interesting film is the more updated version of " Sleuth " starring the great Michael Caine and Jude Law. Funnily enough the screenplay was written by Harold Pinter who I thought enjoyed writing plays as always with Bill Nighy and nowadays Ian McShane( Lovejoy, Deadwood ) in mind. Apparently not as he's branching out a bit. I have to say Kenneth Branagh did a fantastic as director and got the best out of his two performers. Credit should be given to Michael Caine for allowing to Jude Law to really shine in this film as he from what I felt gave the performance of his career. Overall a really good film.

For the last year or so the genre of musical films have made a bit of a comeback with " Dreamgirls " and " Hairspray ". There is however another musical film that is still in theaters but has been very much overlooked. It's a lovely little Irish film and it's called " Once ". By no stretch of the imagination is it a flamboyant film in comparison to the ever so cheesy " Dreamgirls " or " Hairspray ". The film makers of " Once " tried to make the storyline and characters about as grounded and realistic as can be. In turn I hope more people will see this film in due time and I sincerely hope the movie enjoys the success that it so richly deserves.

Ro

""I had the chance to see " Michael Clayton " this past Friday evening and what a fantastic from beginning to end. This is definitely George Clooney's best ever performance to date""

Michael Clayton was good but some aspects of the storyline were lacking & not all that slick, IMO.

Clooney in "Syriana" was superb, IMO.

Guest ReturnOfS

I actually tried to watch "Ma Mere" just so I could see all of the scenes of Louis Garrel nude, but the movie was waaaaaaay too weird for me.... kind of disturbing

Guest zipperzone

No - I have not seen it yet, but want to.

I did however, spend yesterday afternoon seeing Eastern Pleasures. I admit that I was drawn to it primarily by reports of the nude scene in the steambath, which did not dissapoint. While not many crotch shots, there was plenty of butt (my favorite) and the camera work was so well done, you almost thought you were rolling around on the floor with them.

All in all, a rather dark movie. If that is truly what London is like these days I think I would pass on any future visits. But I know that isn't really the case as my connection with the Russian mob is tenuous at best.

Archived