Getting Car Repair Estimates Is A JOKE!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 1734 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I mean sure they might be helpful if you've got something simple like an oil change-or know you need a brake job-but in this case ....

1. The check engine light comes on.

2. You buy a code reader for $19.95

3. The code reader tells you that it's the catalytic converter and/or the O2 sensors.

4. But you can't totally rely on a $19.95 code reader.

5. You take it to an auto place. They charge you for a diagnostic.

6. They give you an estimate.

7. But the car is already broken down-for convenience -might be better to be done there.

8. If you don't have the repair done there-you'd have to get a diagnostic at the new place too. Obviously if you told a new place what was wrong going by the previous repair shop's diagnostic, and ANYTHING WENT WRONG afterwards-they'd just say well we would have found this out in our diagnostic.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Gman

I mean sure they might be helpful if you've got something simple like an oil change-or know you need a brake job-but in this case ....

1. The check engine light comes on.

2. You buy a code reader for $19.95

3. The code reader tells you that it's the catalytic converter and/or the O2 sensors.

4. But you can't totally rely on a $19.95 code reader.

5. You take it to an auto place. They charge you for a diagnostic.

6. They give you an estimate.

7. But the car is already broken down-for convenience -might be better to be done there.

8. If you don't have the repair done there-you'd have to get a diagnostic at the new place too. Obviously if you told a new place what was wrong going by the previous repair shop's diagnostic, and ANYTHING WENT WRONG afterwards-they'd just say well we would have found this out in our diagnostic.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Gman

Isn’t there a saying about ‘there is no trouble like car trouble’. Something like that?

Funny you bring this up Gar..... 2 weeks ago the "service engine soon" light comes on. I took it to the dealer I bought the car from, going there since I purchased the car, no longer under warranty. Had to leave it for 3 days, they are very busy in the summer, they claim... They call and tell me I need some part. The part was inexpensive but with labor the repair was over $600.

I give the OK to fix. I pick the car up drive it home OK on a Wednesday, and put it in my garage. I don't drive it till Sunday, when I drive 5 miles and the fucking light comes on again..... Back to the shop last Thurs.... This time they waive the diagnostic fee but call to tell me it a NEW issues. I have a "cracked canister" and its leaking... My immediate thought was that they cracked the canister doing the first repair, but I didn't want to rock the boat.... The NEW repair is $473.... So in the end $1100 …. And BTW, the catalytic converter thingy was replaced last year @ $1300.... This weekend I am starting to look for a new car.....

Funny you bring this up Gar..... 2 weeks ago the "service engine soon" light comes on. I took it to the dealer I bought the car from, going there since I purchased the car, no longer under warranty. Had to leave it for 3 days, they are very busy in the summer, they claim... They call and tell me I need some part. The part was inexpensive but with labor the repair was over $600.

I give the OK to fix. I pick the car up drive it home OK on a Wednesday, and put it in my garage. I don't drive it till Sunday, when I drive 5 miles and the fucking light comes on again..... Back to the shop last Thurs.... This time they waive the diagnostic fee but call to tell me it a NEW issues. I have a "cracked canister" and its leaking... My immediate thought was that they cracked the canister doing the first repair, but I didn't want to rock the boat.... The NEW repair is $473.... So in the end $1100 …. And BTW, the catalytic converter thingy was replaced last year @ $1300.... This weekend I am starting to look for a new car.....

It's like we are conjoined astral twins but separated by the distance between NYC and Dallas. I'm sorry about your car woes.

Gman

PS Speaking of twins -this has brought to mind another topic that I'm going to post. Look for it at your friendly neighborhood m4m-forum.org.