Lisbon/Madrid

GregM
This topic is 1724 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's usually always more expensive to drive only one-way with a rental vehicle remember, especially between countries. Train and subways are the way to go. A car in Portugal for a day or two, just to get out of Lisbon, and see a bit of the country might be a good idea. If you do decide to rent a car (in spite of the advice on here), if you are interested in getting anywhere quickly, stick to toll highways, the other routes might be prettier, but they would be endless. Although, is this a vacation or are you working?

Before posting on here I did check rental one way and almost died, just over $600. I'm leaning more towards flying from Lisbon and if the fancy strikes rent a car for a day or two and go out of the city if public transit doesnt work to my liking. Im not sure if I'll be working in either city. The language barrier might be a bit much although I'm going to start Portuguese lessons so I hopefully have a working knowledge of the language.

Hugs,

Greg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before posting on here I did check rental one way and almost died, just over $600. I'm leaning more towards flying from Lisbon and if the fancy strikes rent a car for a day or two and go out of the city if public transit doesnt work to my liking. Im not sure if I'll be working in either city. The language barrier might be a bit much although I'm going to start Portuguese lessons so I hopefully have a working knowledge of the language.

Hugs,

Greg

As far as language barrier in Portugal, a good friend of mine that is from there says most people there speak English. They make everyone take English in schools. So maybe you won't have too much of an issue. In Madrid, lots of people speak English. I've been learning Spanish cuz I want to move there so I visit a lot. I want to practice my Spanish there, but most people I come across speak English and want to practice their English with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Cars in the cities are not helpful.

However outside the cities they can be.

We did a one way rental from Calais to St Moritz. Via Bruges, Amsterdam, Paris, the Loire, Montpelier, St Tropez, Cannes, Genoa, Pisa, Tuscany, Florence, Milan, Lake Garda, Venice, Ljublana, Lake Bled, Salzburg.

We ditched the car in Amsterdam, Paris, Milan, Florence and Venice , to the hotel carpark.

We paid 1900 Euro for 19 days , for a VW golf, we picnicked where we liked, stopped when we wanted, went to little villages, enjoyed markets, and village cafes.

It's worth it it works.