new computer purchase

larry_montreal
This topic is 1629 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Perhaps it will be helpful to review the specificpoint I;m asking you to clarify

I wrote

Not to be pedantic, but defective keyboards were always covered under warranty.

You wrote

The problem was Apple refused to admit the keyboards were defective.

I wrote

Would you clarify what you mean? Because it sounds like you are saying Apple refused to repair malfunctioning keyboards that were under warranty, which I am not aware of as an issue.

You replied

Apple refused to acknowledge that the keyboard design or a design defect caused the keyboards to stick and would charge the customer hundreds of dollars to replace the keyboard. Here's an excerpt from an article that appeared on SlashGear:

"...Different strokes for different folks

Were it just a matter of personal taste, the butterfly keyboard probably wouldn’t have so many detractors. Unfortunately, along with that frustration came some reliability concerns. Reports of sticky keys, keys that wouldn’t respond to presses, or keys that produced multiple letters even though only tapped once began to circulate.

The nature of the new mechanism, though, meant that fixing those issues was tougher than with most notebook keyboards. Unlike the old scissor keys, the butterfly mechanism couldn’t be easily pried up so that dust, trumps, and other detritus could be cleaned out. Trying to do so, indeed, could leave you with a completely broken key.

Apple’s advice was the judicious application of some compressed air, but even that wasn’t enough in many cases. Worse still, the company refused to acknowledge any part its design might have played in its temperamental ‘boards. Repairs could escalate to the hundreds of dollars, because the whole keyboard assembly needed to be replaced..."

I call that "where bad design meets hubris."

There is nothing in the article about charging people to repair devices that were under warranty. So again, what are you saying?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic