Dorothy Loudon is fabulous!

Merboy
This topic is 1789 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One of my favorites. "Fifty Percent" from Ballroom - debuted by Loudon. In this case, a woman who lost her husband a year ago finds an unexpected new partner while dancing with him at the Stardust Ballroom. They fall in love. Later she learns that he is married, in a loveless marriage. Near the end of the show, she sings this anthem defending her relationship with him. For many years, this song was a cabaret staple, but no one does it like her.

Edited by bostonman

Ah, great song... And still a piano bar staple :)

For many years, the Lenox Hotel in Boston had a famous piano bar/cabaret room called Diamond Jim's. Back in the early 1990's, when there was a truly bustling cabaret scene in Boston, I was part of a one-night event at Diamond Jim's that we called "Fifty Percent Night." All evening, you could get drinks at half price (yup, that's 50% off) and hear any number of Boston area singers and pianists give their renditions of the song - the only song heard all night. I was with Nunsense at the time, and wrote a fun uptempo jazz arrangement for some for the nuns in the cast to sing. I remember I had been working on an Italian translation to sing a la Pavarotti, but I think I wound up just doing the song straight - or, gay, as it were. I remember it being a very fun night. :)